Review by maritzaalston -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Review by maritzaalston -- Gringo

Post by maritzaalston »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo: My life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Dan “Tito” Davis with Peter Conti is an elaborate true story. This story possesses it all loss of friendships, betrayal, and drugs. When Tito decides to jump bail, he leaves behind his family, friends, and home. While a fugitive from justice Tito travels to many countries, and learns to survive in the underdeveloped communities. These new communities present new challenges and are extremely dangerous. Tito faces love, trust, and lifelong commitment issues as he searches for a place to lay down roots. Tito lives every day looking over his shoulder and can never stop thinking that one day he will run out of luck. Every step he decides on and choice he makes has to be thought out and calculated because not doing so would mean possible 30 years imprisonment. He confronts danger as he begins establishing an alternative life. Tito a clever businessman intuitively recognizes an opportunity and starts investing at a time when most people would not consider the risk. Tito is an intelligent investor with an ability to carry out his plans.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 Stars the chapters are thoroughly organized, easy to read and overall this is an entertaining story. I did not detect grammatical errors. The additional information that the author provides the reader with and the specific details about the country that he travels to are exciting. The social elements he shared about India and the challenges he faced reminded me of the danger people face when traveling to unknown countries.

What I enjoyed most about this book was that the author takes his time and adequately explains the local culture and specific language as it pertained to that country. I appreciated the fact that he includes a glossary to aid the reader in interpreting the foreign terms he uses when describing his encounters. He builds the chapters very nicely and the story progressed at a remarkable pace.

What I disliked the most was that the ending was too vague there was no true closure. I understand why however I would have liked to read a closing where the author shared what his future plans entailed. The reason that I was expecting this type of ending was because of how well organized and how he strategically thought out his every move. The ending to the book was okay, but I would have liked for the author to provide relatively more detail.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like maritzaalston's review? Post a comment saying so!
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”