Did you finish Roan?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.

Did you finish Roan?

I finished it.
43%
I did not start it.
19%
I started it, and I plan to finish it.
29%
I started it, but I have decided not to finish it.
10%

Total votes: 21

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Did you finish Roan?

Post by Scott »

We discussed Roan for my 'real life' book club too. Most folks there did not finish Roan. Usually they do finish the book.

However, Roan was a quite a long book. It may have been the longest one we ever did. Do you think think Roan was long?

Did you finish it? If not, do you plan to?

If you are not planning to finish it, why is that?

In real life book club, part of the problem could be that there is a deadline. That's the great thing about OnlineBookClub: you can read and discuss books at your leisure, rather than having to make a specific meeting about one specific book at one specific time.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That's actually pretty neat that you discussed Roan for your 'real life' book club. I'm in the middle of it, and I don't find it long because I'm really enjoying it. I think it's the wanting to know more about Piasa and the legend of the 'Dark Ones'. Therefore, I do plan on finishing it.

(Although, next month's even longer! Oh boy!)

I love the BOTM discussion topics because there is no deadline, like you said You can keep participating all month long! I feel it makes each book more memorable since it can be a month-long discussion rather than a 1-2 hour one.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I am in the middle too, I will finish in a day or so. These BOTM discussions are fun. I love this! ?
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I started it and plan to finish! Certainly glad there is no deadline!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I just finished it today, but it took me about three weeks. Life has been very busy for me lately, but I can usually read a book in about a week, in spite of whatever else might be going on. Honestly, I'm relieved that others had the same issue! I was beginning to feel like a slacker! :lol:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I keep going back and forth on this book. I want to read it and participate in the discussion this month. At the same time: it's a long book, I'm slowly trudging through NANOWRIMO, I have a back log of 12 other books to read, and, and, and...

"Roan" sounds like it's exactly the sort of book I'd love to read, I don't know if life will let me right now.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I started it and so far enjoy it. I sure plan to finish. I read longest books than this, so length isn't my issue. I don't have much free time recently or I would have got to it sooner. It is sure cool you discussed Roan for your 'real life' book club. Sounds like fun!
I agree that lack of a deadline is a bonus!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I am in the middle of it. I am going to finish it. I am enjoying the book I am finding it kind of long but good.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Janetleighgreen

I finally finished this book. I though it was too long; there were a lot of things that were repetitive and could have been scaled down and tightened up. I enjoyed the story a lot, but found myself getting frustrated at the length and repetitive storyline. Had there been a deadline, I would've finished it, but it would've been difficult. I want to stress again, I really liked the story; and having had criticisms of my own to overcome as a new author, I hope my comments are taken in the spirit they are given.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I just finished it this morning. It took me a few weeks because of how long it is. I am glad that I finished it, but if their was too be a second book I don't think I would read it. If their is going to be a second one, hopefully it won't be as long for the other readers.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Scott wrote:We discussed Roan for my 'real life' book club too. Most folks there did not finish Roan. Usually they do finish the book.

However, Roan was a quite a long book. It may have been the longest one we ever did. Do you think think Roan was long?

Did you finish it? If not, do you plan to?

If you are not planning to finish it, why is that?

In real life book club, part of the problem could be that there is a deadline. That's the great thing about OnlineBookClub: you can read and discuss books at your leisure, rather than having to make a specific meeting about one specific book at one specific time.
I didn't find Roan to be too long, but then again, I am a sucker for a big long book! Each book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, or The Ways of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, for example, are some of the tomes I have tackled. I did finish the book. I started it when it first came in the mail, but only read the first chapter. I put the book aside for a few days and then put it on my "to do" list for this past three-day weekend. From Friday through until today, I read several hours each day. I finished the book about thirty minutes ago. I very rarely start a book and then not finish it. I am a little OCD about it, I guess. I want to know what happens to the characters. I don't like interruptions. Last night, for example, I had to stop and cook dinner with Conor hanging from the Tree. I always imagine my character, hands-on-hips, foot-tapping waiting for me to come back so that they can move on with the story as well. I have never been part of a book club before, online or in real life. I find that I enjoy the ability to share and read others' ideas. (Okay for those punctuation kings and queens out there - is it others' ideas or other's ideas?)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finally finished this book today. I love long books, but this book was far too long. There were some repetitive parts that didn't advance the plot.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen

gali wrote:I finally finished this book today. I love long books, but this book was far too long. There were some repetitive parts that didn't advance the plot.
I agree. As an author, I learned a lot from reading this book and will carry it with me.
Seamusberen1955
Favorite Author: E. R. Barr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 42361
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by Seamusberen1955 »

Seamusberen here, the author of ROAN.
Check comment #43 in the forum called "I'm on the fence" for why the book was long. Also, if you thought it was repetitive please give me some feedback as to why. Thanks much.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I finished it - as far as repetitive, I can see how some could say that - as some of the mythology information was repeated in different formats to different characters. But, personally, I thought the information was mostly doled out in adequate amounts. It could be tightened up in editing, by looking for duplication and allowing some characters to already have certain bits of information that the reader finds out elsewhere. However, in my opinion, Roan was written in a manner more in line with real literature, rather than just a story someone is writing out. Consider the difference between Lord of the Rings as compared to Twilight - there is NO COMPARISON!!! Twilight is an interesting story, but terrible literature. LOTR is an epic story AND good literature. I would put Roan closer to the category of good literature rather than just an interesting story. I would have to read all of the series before I gave final opinion, however.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”