Are Banshees real?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Re: Are Banshees real?

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

CatInTheHat wrote:I've always wondered about banshees; my grandmother used to always tell us that we were screaming like a bunch of banshees!
HAHA! I have heard that phrase too. I don't know what it really sounds like, but cats in heat nearly convinced me.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:I've always wondered about banshees; my grandmother used to always tell us that we were screaming like a bunch of banshees!
HAHA! I have heard that phrase too. I don't know what it really sounds like, but cats in heat nearly convinced me.
Maybe like the scream of a peacock. Peacocks sound like a woman with a shrill scream.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

CatInTheHat wrote:
Maybe like the scream of a peacock. Peacocks sound like a woman with a shrill scream.

Yes we had Peacocks in our next door neighbor's yard. They would make a terrible sound.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

I have never seen one but I don't think you can necessarily see them. In Yorkshire with the wind on the moors there are times when it sounded like a banshee.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
greenstripedgiraffe

lacos2693 wrote:I have never seen one but I don't think you can necessarily see them. In Yorkshire with the wind on the moors there are times when it sounded like a banshee.
oh, that is very interesting. I would like to see the moors someday. Does anyone know where the legend of banshees came from? It sounds like something that could have come from the British Isles...

-- 22 Nov 2016, 07:55 --

And yikes about the peacock sound! I have never heard a peacock scream. I will have to look that up to find a recording!
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Perhaps in my less enjoyable dreams I can believe such disturbing stuff.. but otherwise I'll settle for the tv show Banshee as the most real kind in 21st century Earth.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html

Post by lacos2693 »

oh, that is very interesting. I would like to see the moors someday. Does anyone know where the legend of banshees came from? It sounds like something that could have come from the British Isles...

The moors are so cold and windy but quite beautiful in a melancholic way.

Banshees actually came from Ireland and gaelic mythology. In the Irish landscapes they have these mounds (or tumuli) which they believe banshees live around.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I believe in fae and supernatural entities, so belief in banshees would follow from that... I believe that by believing we make things real, even if they still exist in a plane beyond our perception. I am in many ways a rational and scientifically minded person, which may sound contradictory, but there are very many aspects of existence far beyond our comprehension.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I have never had any personal experience with a banshee that I'm aware of. I do believe that there is a spiritual realm that is generally outside of our awareness. I also realize that most legends and myths were started for a reason. There could be some type of factual basis to the banshee that's been morphed over time into something far different, and much more unbelievable. It does make for some good story telling.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
greenstripedgiraffe

lacos2693 wrote:

The moors are so cold and windy but quite beautiful in a melancholic way.

Banshees actually came from Ireland and gaelic mythology. In the Irish landscapes they have these mounds (or tumuli) which they believe banshees live around.
Have not heard of the mounds/tumuli - would be interested to see pictures of that and learn more. Ireland has always struck me as a place where the curtain door between the physical world we see and other worlds is thin - many interesting tales from the irish! if i were able to visit, i would definitely take any of the legends seriously, and not tempt fate.

-- 30 Nov 2016, 08:09 --
Ripley3131 wrote:I have never had any personal experience with a banshee that I'm aware of. I do believe that there is a spiritual realm that is generally outside of our awareness. I also realize that most legends and myths were started for a reason. There could be some type of factual basis to the banshee that's been morphed over time into something far different, and much more unbelievable. It does make for some good story telling.
yes, it's this factual basis (however far from the current mythology) that I would love to know more about 8)
LR+Co
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LR+Co »

The idea of banshees intrigues me. I strongly believe that there is some amount of truth behind every legend. However, I speak not from personal experience having never encountered a banshee. I count that as a blessing!
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

While there may be banshee like people who have existed, banshees are not real. Mythical creatures like this one are usually exaggerated versions of events that could be or were real. Vampires aren't real, but people who like to drink blood are. Werewolves aren't real, but we have drugs that could make someone go "wild" and bite people.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
JeremyLaBoheme

Post by JeremyLaBoheme »

I've spent years, many years, reading about the spiritual aspects of death and dying, near death experiences and the lessons people gained from them, and grief. I have never once read about banshees. I have never come across an encounter where someone, whether terminally ill or involved with a sudden health issue or accident, has described such a thing. There are very common experiences that NDEers describe when going through a NDE and this isn't one of them.
Flowergirl

Post by Flowergirl »

I don't have any experience with a banshee. However, I come from a family that has many stories with other supernatural beings. Whether these were just stories or they are real, I can assure you it was a lot of fun listening to them. My grandfather told me a story once about a supernatural encounter, but I could see it in hi eyes, facial expression that he believed it was real, so that is good enough for me. Maybe there are things we can't explain, I know I have had my fair share of these "unexplainable things"….who knows….
Miah Ryans
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miah-ryans.html

Post by Miah Ryans »

Banshees...Real creepy. I cant really say whether I believe in them or not. Mostly it depends on the situation .If someone is really trying to freak me out,I would get scared. But most of the time I like to believe them as just myths,real cool myths

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”