Favorite magical spells or moments? May contain spoilers!

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Favorite magical spells or moments? May contain spoilers!

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

As you read Nightlord: Sunset, you will come across many instances where Eric is working magical spells. Whether these spells be to bend gravity, animate an inanimate object, heal, or to fight, Whited provides graphic descriptions to make the magic come alive. What are some of your favorite magical spells or moments from the story? Please include why these moments made an impression.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My favorite magical spell so far is the snow spell. I liked the way he was surprised by his ability to make snow.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This one contains a spoiler!

I really like the rock-talking spell. It was such a cute and fun way to entertain some of the children, and I wished I could do that! Can you imagine how many kids would be entertained if rocks (or other objects) could talk?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

hsimone wrote:This one contains a spoiler!

I really like the rock-talking spell. It was such a cute and fun way to entertain some of the children, and I wished I could do that! Can you imagine how many kids would be entertained if rocks (or other objects) could talk?
This was my favorite spell too; I loved the description of a rock clearing its throst to sing, it was cute.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

gali wrote:My favorite magical spell so far is the snow spell. I liked the way he was surprised by his ability to make snow.
I liked this spell too. who would expect snow in June

-- 03 Dec 2016, 00:32 --

This sounds interesting. I can't wait to get to this part
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amcdanel86 wrote:

This sounds interesting. I can't wait to get to this part
It was very cute, and it enhanced what a softy Eric/Halar can be. :) Those were my favorite moments when Eric demonstrated his softer and kind side, which shows that all vampires are crazy bloodthirsty lunatics.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

for the scrying spell, Eric uses a cow. After he uses the cow for the spell can he finish slaughtering it and eat it?
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
Jennifer Allsbrook

Amcdanel86 wrote:for the scrying spell, Eric uses a cow. After he uses the cow for the spell can he finish slaughtering it and eat it?
I would think that he could. He was drinking blood provided by the cows so why not eat the meat as Dayblood!

-- 05 Dec 2016, 15:13 --

I really like this singing spell as well. It is the only time so far in the book that Eric/Halar has done "tricks" for kids. I am enjoying his descriptions of healing spells. He is intricate in describing the anatomical changes that he must carry out to fix problems such as the broken blood vessels, bones, or of such damage. I look forward to more. Please keep sharing. Don't forget to tell why you find a spell intriguing or interesting.

-- 08 Dec 2016, 21:39 --
gali wrote:My favorite magical spell so far is the snow spell. I liked the way he was surprised by his ability to make snow.
I enjoyed the snow spell as well and was hoping that he would do more to manipulate the environment. I am still about 8 hours of listening away from being finished. Eric/Halar has created fog, altered gravity, started having the earth reshape itself to build his home, but not any additional weather spells. Since the singing stones, the next most enchanting enchantment was the instruments of the bard that play to accompany him. Overall, the healing spells and the intricate descriptions provided are my favorite.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

For me, there's two that I really liked, but I just liked the idea of one of them more. The "runner up" would be the creation of Bronze. I'm not a big horse person, but I just really like that character, and bringing it to life was fun. The only reason it's "second" for me is because of what had to be done to make it.

The "winner" for me though is the mind space. The idea of having an entire magically create world in your mind that you could go to at any time would be amazing for someone like me. I would just go in there, write my ideas down in there and then translate them onto something in the real world. I would get so much more writing done like that. It's not the most flashy spells in the book, but it's my favorite.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Jennifer Allsbrook

Randomgold wrote:For me, there's two that I really liked, but I just liked the idea of one of them more. The "runner up" would be the creation of Bronze. I'm not a big horse person, but I just really like that character, and bringing it to life was fun. The only reason it's "second" for me is because of what had to be done to make it.

The "winner" for me though is the mind space. The idea of having an entire magically create world in your mind that you could go to at any time would be amazing for someone like me. I would just go in there, write my ideas down in there and then translate them onto something in the real world. I would get so much more writing done like that. It's not the most flashy spells in the book, but it's my favorite.
Having a mind space would be amazing. Especially one you could go into and study or write journal entries, read or the like. I agree that Bronze was an amazing spell.

After completing the book, I am still most enamored of Halar's healing spells. The intricate nature of how Whited described the healings was enjoyable. I also enjoyed Halar's sharing of magical spells with his companions and his plans to found a school!! A teacher to the bone.
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

having read more into the book, I would have to say my favorite spell now is bronze.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

That one was cute! It also demonstrates how Eric/Halar is likely to interact with his own kids.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

SPOILER CONTAINED:

I have to agree with Random gold on both counts. -- just in reverse order. I absolutely love the character of Bronze, but did not care for his method of creation. I had no problem with Halar hunting to feed, but I was bothered by the animal sacrifice. I wish that the author had used some other contrivence for powerful spells. I would have preferred the partial draining of energy of many animals as opposed to actually killing them.

I too wish that I had a mind space study.

However my favorite magical moment is when Halar's sword starts to talk to him. I love the interplay between the two charactets. However, I was bothered that it used modern-day earth language including turns of phrase that would not be part of that world.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Spoilers!:

My favorite spells were the healing spells. They're just so useful to help other people. My other favorite spell was the one he used to enchant the bard's instruments. That's just really cool.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I liked the spells he used to entertain the children, it was cute and showed what a great guy Eric was even after becoming a dreaded Nightlord. ? I also liked that he tried to help as many people as possible with his magic. He really does have a good heart.

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”