Epic/Urban Fantasy?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Epic/Urban Fantasy?

Post by Gravy »

What do you think of the way this starts out in the "real" world, but ends up somewhere else?

I've only found this a few times and have been pleasently surprised by the hybrid of epic and urban fantasy.
Do you know of any other books that utilize this? Did you enjoy it?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This is an interesting question. I'm not sure if I read a lot where we start in the "real" world and end up somewhere else. Although, the concept does intrigue me. The switching gives a sense of mystery and intrigue to the read. For this read, I think there is a bit too much time spent in the other world where Eric doesn't seem too focused on the reason why he ended up being there in the first place... :eusa-think:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love it. "Roan" was the same. I love books that mix between the "real" world" and fantasy.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

One old story I remember of switching from the Real world to fantasy was the Wizard of Oz. I really think that in Eric's case he had to go back to the "old world"...the only one in the present that was able to teach him was gone. I do not think that he forgets about his mission, to get revenge on the Cardinal of Telon, but he must first learn about his own new way of life...how he can manipulate and use his new powers. Eric has to learn about his enemies, he really can't defeat them if he doesn't know what he is up against. I feel the author is doing a great job of showing us how this "new Vampire" image was created. The Author is explaining the differences of the day walkers and the night walkers. We as readers are used to the Vampires dying in the daylight, burning with holy water, having to sleep in coffins...etc. Garon Whited is teaching us, we are learning along with Eric.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

Perhaps the most famous series that comes to mind where this type of transformation happens in the storyline was C.S. Lewis's The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe. I have not seen this happen very often as far as I can remember. I thought that Garon did a good job with it, and it definitely came as a surprise to me.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Ripley3131 wrote:Perhaps the most famous series that comes to mind where this type of transformation happens in the storyline was C.S. Lewis's The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe. I have not seen this happen very often as far as I can remember. I thought that Garon did a good job with it, and it definitely came as a surprise to me.
I never thought of that, but you're right!
It's not a common trait in fiction, but I've found it to be quite interesting. I have seen it used in a more limited way, such as how Jim Butcher uses Fairy in The Dresden Files.
Alice in Wonderland is another example, which could explain my fascination with it. I love Alice.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

One of the books I read and reviewed recently included this aspect. Haven by Dria Andersen, involved a story where the main character was on the run and kept visiting clubs called Havens in major cities throughout the US in search of her missing sister. The Havens were actually safe-zones for Demigods on Earth. Liliana meets and falls for her "mate" Leonalph another Demi. There are otherworldly home realms for each type of Demi that can be reached through portals within the Havens. The story started out in a US city and the next thing you know Gods and Goddesses are meeting and following the fate of the world. More info can be found about the story on my reviewer page if anyone is interested. The mythology that this story was modeled after was based on some African Gods and Goddesses. I should mention that the story is an erotic romance as well!
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Gravy wrote:What do you think of the way this starts out in the "real" world, but ends up somewhere else?

I've only found this a few times and have been pleasently surprised by the hybrid of epic and urban fantasy.
Do you know of any other books that utilize this? Did you enjoy it?
I found it fascinating. I love reading different books that take you to another world like this. As several have mentioned, there are a few that I have also read but none of which I enjoyed reading as much as this one.
Madison Degraffenreid
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

I love this concept--books like The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, Wizard of Oz, even Alice in Wonderland. I'm writing an urban fantasy book that uses this idea in a way..Still need to read Nightlord though.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

When reading this thread, the first books that occurred to me were Alice in Wonderland and Alice through the Looking Glass. Of course, as others have mentioned, The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe and Wizard of Oz are also obvious examples. Many fantasy and science fiction books start on earth and cross into a different world. I would add the Dr. Who television series. The Doctor loved earth and is frequently whisking away his companions (who are frequently human) to strange new worlds.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I found this to be interesting. I've read other stories with a similar world device. Garon does a good job with it, but I would have liked to see what life was like more in our "reality" before he goes over.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Thimble wrote:I found this to be interesting. I've read other stories with a similar world device. Garon does a good job with it, but I would have liked to see what life was like more in our "reality" before he goes over.
It is a good device, and I agree it would have been nice to get a little more of the 'before.'
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html

Post by Corybarclay »

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is one of my favorite books, and it starts out in a pretty mundane, albeit beautiful 19th century English setting. By the end of the book, things get wild! I love how Susanna Clarke weaves magic with reality, where the magic in the story becomes the very fabric of life itself! Great stuff -- if you haven't read JS&MR yet, I highly recommend it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen this in quite a few books. The one that comes to mind first is by author Terry Brooks. I think it's Magic Kingdom for Sale-Sold. I kind of enjoy the back and forth between worlds in books such as this.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Terry Brooks Magic Kingdom for Sale-Sold! is a great book. A really good urban fantasy series that I think is still going on is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. That was my introduction to urban fantasy. Wasn't sure about the genre, but ended up really liking it. I read a couple of the books in the series. There are around fifteen books in the series, or something like that.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”