Do You Believe in Aliens?

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
8arandipi+ea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-8arandipi-ea.html
Latest Review: Ten Commandments for Church Reform by John Wijngaards

Re: Do You Believe in Aliens?

Post by 8arandipi+ea »

Aliens would need a clear definition. Bacteria on another planet isn't aliens to me. I think of little green men with massive black eyes as the definition of alien. Possibly intelligent and competitive even. I figure they might exist but can be defined in other ways that could be controversial. Like for instance angels, not with wings and a halo but with four faces and circles of metal that obey their command as they fly thru the air. I'm not convinced angels abduct people tho. But if I saw something standing on two legs I'd be freaked out.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I think that there is a good possibility for alien life on other planets. They could be affecting us now and we just don't know it because we attribute the effect to something else. The only thing that makes me think that there might not be life on other planets is the fact that they haven't reached out to us. But maybe they're just smarted than we are and they are staying away from other life.
Gabby B
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-b.html

Post by Gabby B »

There has to be some other kinds of life forms out there, why else would we have the concept of these bug eyed creatures?
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I think that just knowing how much we actually don't know about space, gives me no choice but to believe in some kind of life on other planets.
MarissaW44
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissaw44.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by MarissaW44 »

I believe while there may be aliens, they are not what everyone thinks. While humans have advanced, I don't feel other galaxies or planets would have met the specific needs of organisms to create an environment in which they could advance just as quickly and become as intelligent, or more intelligent, than us. While it's not impossible, it's highly unlikely that we have never found them or vice-versa. Even if they prefer to not be found, there would be some type of structure for living in which would be hard to miss. Humans have come a long way, especially with recent advances so in order to remain unseen aliens would have to be too far to contact.
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I think it is ignorant to assume there are no intelligent life forms in the whole universe other than our own. They could be very similar to us, or extremely different. We can only explore a very minuscule part of something bigger than we can comprehend, and there is no telling how much further advanced other life forms could be.

As for if they have any effect on us and our planet, I think it is possible. There are ancient art pieces that depict odd images that could very well have been visitors from elsewhere. As for our modern society, I believe any life forms intelligent enough to make it to Earth from a distance far enough away that we have not discovered it is smart enough to know our race's tendency to be more violent than welcoming. The fact that they could be met with hostility means that they would have to either be very stealthy or only observe from a distance until we become more open to the possibilities.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

I believe that the Universe is too big for us to be the only planet harboring life. It feels almost selfish to me to deny the existence of another life form out there somewhere. Are they the funny-looking, big-eyed, technologically advanced creatures we see in the movies and books? Probably not, but I do believe that some other form of life exists out there, probably too far away for us to ever reach to confirm or deny, though.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

I was going to put Christmas lights on the roof of our house one year that said: "WELCOME", but the family did not share in my enthusiasm. It would be great if aliens really did exist; it would certainly challenge a lot of people's core beliefs.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Yes, I believe there may be aliens in other part of this universe but they select only lonely place to do their work.in my reading I also found some evidence of UFO.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I think it is extremely unlikely that Earth is the only planet with intelligent lifeforms. I don't necessarily think they are how books and film show them. I definitely don't think there are Doctor Who style aliens who are trying to take over the world or want to create Adipose monsters, but it makes sense for somewhere there is aliens.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Here's my opinion for what it's worth.

It is estimated that there are perhaps 100,000,000,000 (one hundred billion or 10^11) stars in a galaxy; it is further estimated that there are about 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe. There is a reasonable probability that there are at least as many planets as stars which would mean that there are probably 10^11 (number of galaxies) TIMES 10^11 (number of stars per galaxy) or 10^22 planets ... that's 10 billion trillion planets in the universe.

Now consider how long the universe has had to create planets, and how many planets there are, and on these planets how short a period of time (relatively speaking) it takes to evolve an intelligent life form capable of creating a technology which can explore space. When one considers that it has taken man 80,000 years to advance from the period when he first domesticated animals to the year 1 and only another 1969 years to put a man on the moon it becomes rather obvious that technology is not expanding arithmetically but rather exponentially. It is hardly beyond the ability of even the most sceptic mind to understand that we are probably not alone. The overwhelming dictates of probability suggest that there are other civilizations in the universe in various states of evolution.

The great trap to which we are all prone to succumb is that we tend to think in terms of our own technology. At the turn of the last century the greatest minds were asked what the world would be like in the year 2000. One person replied that there would be a land bridge between the USA and Europe for ... are you ready for this ... horse drawn trollies. Another said that there would be skyscrapers of (only) 10 - 25 stories and that mass transport would be by means of dirigibles. They were unable to think outside their current technology and we tend to do the same thing. We think of aliens appearing in vehicles (spacecraft), or making contact using radio communication, when real contact, if it ever happens, perhaps will be made telepathically. Scientists today scoff at concepts such as telepathy but do not hesitate to spend billions in government funding for radio communications technology which they admit has as little chance of communication with an advanced civilization as finding a needle in a haystack. Perhaps they should open their minds both figuratively as well as literally speaking.

I do not believe aliens have visited earth; however, it is entirely possible that earth has been influenced by life in other parts of the universe in ways we do not understand. For instance, perhaps DNA arrived on earth from other worlds by means of comet or meteor impacts in our distant past.

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
drcmarx

Post by drcmarx »

I think there is a possibility of life on other planets.... The question is how do you define life?

If we are talking about carbon based life forms, the question should be "life forms similar in appearance to humans"or as a minimum "life forms with intelligence similar to or higher than human intelligence"

Your views on this will be interesting?
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I think I believe in life on other planets. There are a lot of unexplained phenomena that make me wonder...
ablume
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ablume.html

Post by ablume »

I can't reasonably believe that there isn't life on other planets. I don't really know what kind of other life, where they are or what they're like, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I am actually confused on this topic. Sometimes when i think about evolution of homosapiens it appears that other form of life might also have evolved. But then i am a little skeptic about it
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”