Thoughts on Diversity in Books

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
FangirlAhead
Currently Reading: Beyond the Rising Tide
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlahead.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Icon Thoughts on Diversity in Books

Post by FangirlAhead »

Coming from the YA (young adult) book blogging community, I've noticed a lot of talk about how minorities are underrepresented in literature. Think about it: before reading We Are the Ants, when was the last time you read a book where the main character was a person of color or was LGBTQ+? And what do you think we as readers can do to encourage diversity? I don't have any clear answers myself, so I'm inviting everyone to contribute their thoughts!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I actually read a lot of LBGTQ+ books, and some with a protagonist of a race other than own, both fiction and memoirs, but it is underrepresented. I will actually seek them out, but I'm guessing that isn't usual :lol:

I think there isn't enough of a market for this type of book. When there's a demand for it, perhaps there will be more of a supply.
Sadly, there's also the negative impact to authors who include a valid amount of diversity. I read an author who is criticized for including more than one or two LBGTQ+ characters in her ongoing series. Thankfully, she doesn't let it discourage her, but how many authors will rewrite a character if they're asked/told to?

The big change that needs to happen is the belief that there needs to be a reason for a character to be of a minority, like there needs to be an excuse. There's never a need for an excuse when a character is straight and/or white.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:I actually read a lot of LBGTQ+ books, and some with a protagonist of a race other than own, both fiction and memoirs, but it is underrepresented. I will actually seek them out, but I'm guessing that isn't usual :lol:

I think there isn't enough of a market for this type of book. When there's a demand for it, perhaps there will be more of a supply.
Sadly, there's also the negative impact to authors who include a valid amount of diversity. I read an author who is criticized for including more than one or two LBGTQ+ characters in her ongoing series. Thankfully, she doesn't let it discourage her, but how many authors will rewrite a character if they're asked/told to?

The big change that needs to happen is the belief that there needs to be a reason for a character to be of a minority, like there needs to be an excuse. There's never a need for an excuse when a character is straight and/or white.
:text-yeahthat:

-- January 3rd, 2017, 7:04 am --

I have read quite a few books where the main character was a person of color or some other minority. I don't think it is as rare as you said.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I keep an eye out for authors who write characters who are disabled.. it is rare to find a non-disabled author who comes up with a well-written, authentic, disabled character without becoming saccharine or relying on overused tropes. Every so often, I find a really good one, but most often, the best are written by authors who are themselves dealing with a disability.

I do wish that authors felt more encouraged to write minority characters.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

This question is so important in today's world. YA and children's books NEED WAY MORE diversity. Currently there is a group of authors, publishers, librarians and other community members seeking out books with diverse themes and characters (called We Need Diverse Books). They have really added a lot of new books and hype to the topic in 2016, adding to the ever changing landscape of the human race. I hope in 2017 we all pitch in to seek those books out, read and share them. Supply and demand theory Gravy touched on could be a possibilities so we need to assist in working towards getting those books out into the world.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I think that there are several issues that contribute to this problem. As Gravy pointed out, supply and demand, as well as author pressure are two of them. But also an author is taught to write what he knows. Thus, since most authors are strait, white able-bodied people, so are most of their characters. They may have diversity in the shopping characters, but not so much in the main character.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote:I actually read a lot of LBGTQ+ books, and some with a protagonist of a race other than own, both fiction and memoirs, but it is underrepresented. I will actually seek them out, but I'm guessing that isn't usual :lol:

I agree this is well said! We live in a diverse world, so there should be more representation of the reality. I try to read a vast range of books, but I do feel many minorities and LBGTQ+ characters are underrepresented. This is why I was excited to read this one!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

How much of the lack of diversity in books can be blamed on the fact that there are still fools out there who consider LGBT+ people, people in mixed-race relationships, etc. 'going against god', who would not buy a book if it has a gay character, especially if that character is presented in a positive light? How much of it is publishers shying away from putting books out that might not sell to the mainstream?
Fewer people read now, and the economy is sluggish... so publishers have to choose books that will give them the highest sales for their investment. If a book has a lot of minority characters, it might risk turning off middle America or being classified only as an LGBT+ book, both of which would drastically limit sales.
So, are publishers partly to blame here? Should they be more willing to say 'damn the religious right, let's publish despite them!'?

Personally, I think they should... but I have a stubborn idealistic streak. Been trying to get rid of it for years.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I agree that the option for diverse books is severely lacking. I actually think YA does a better job of having diverse characters than adult books do (that's totally based on me just sitting here and thinking about recent books I've read, not actual statistics). I would love to add more of these books to my list but am not sure how to go about seeking them out.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I disagree with the initial post, it that I can think of several books I have read with the main character being of a different race than myself.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
letsinvadespace
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by letsinvadespace »

In terms of young adult books, I have often found that their is more diversity because teenagers want to be represented and want to see good reputation. The Mortal Instruments series wouldn't have the fan base it has without Malec, where the gay couple's relationship has the same ups and downs as a straight one and is given the same amount of attention. Another example is Rick Riordan--the original PJO series was mostly white and there was no openly gay characters, then came the HOO series, where one gay character and many different races were protagonist.

I'll admit that we definitely aren't where we want to be as representation goes, but I believe the positive fan reaction to diverse characters does give authors the encouragement to include minority characters.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

:text-yeahthat:
ashley_claire wrote:I agree that the option for diverse books is severely lacking. I actually think YA does a better job of having diverse characters than adult books do (that's totally based on me just sitting here and thinking about recent books I've read, not actual statistics). I would love to add more of these books to my list but am not sure how to go about seeking them out.
I believe there are lists online. I've found a few through suggestions from other members here. I've also found some by searching Amazon. Others, I've just stumbled upon.

Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I find that the genre often dictates how much diversity you see. In the mystery novels I read there is a lack of diversity, but in the science fiction/fantasy books I read, there is a lot of diversity. I agree that there should be more diversity in all genres.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

This is a topic I have noticed a lot in my readings lately. Even before beginning this novel I was curious about this. One of my coworkers has been encouraging her daughter to read and would like her to read more on the history of her people but has had a difficult time finding anything. I thought I would look into it myself but struggled as well. I do feel that the lack of diversity is based on what you all have mentioned above. I think things are slowly changing though and the world is opening up to the idea more. Where can I find the list that you mentioned Gravy?
Madison Degraffenreid
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

mratdegraff91 wrote:This is a topic I have noticed a lot in my readings lately. Even before beginning this novel I was curious about this. One of my coworkers has been encouraging her daughter to read and would like her to read more on the history of her people but has had a difficult time finding anything. I thought I would look into it myself but struggled as well. I do feel that the lack of diversity is based on what you all have mentioned above. I think things are slowly changing though and the world is opening up to the idea more. Where can I find the list that you mentioned Gravy?
@"mratdegraff91"
If there's one thing people love to do, it's make lists :lol:
If I'm looking for anything specific, I just google it. You'd be surprised what you can find. I looked up a few lists. 50 Essential Works of LGBT Fiction was one of them.
I tend more toward LGBT issues, but I assume searching would still work. Albeit, it takes a bit of trial and error, given what some people consider representative of whatever you're looking for. Google tried to recommend Nickolas Sparks' At First Sight when I searched for LGBT books :roll:

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”