Alien Abduction or Psychosis?

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Re: Alien Abduction or Psychosis?

Post by KAV »

David Nash wrote:The problem with Henry's story being a psychotic episode is that he experiences time loss and the loss of his clothes. Now it is possible for a person to have a psychotic episode in which they lose time,but the episode time and real time differ by a huge factor in most cases. That is, the person experiences the loss of days when in fact, only minutes or hours have passed. And, in disappearing for long periods of time in psychosis there is a consistency in returning - someone should have seen him elsewhere, wandering in his psychotic state. The loss of clothes could be him removing them himself, but it then where did they go? Is he so consistent that he not only removes his clothes during an episode, but he also destroys them so that they never show up again? I think the facts argue that the abductions are real, not psychosis..
I would have considered the psychosis theory except for the fact that no one found him during the times that he was missing. A naked kid running around a town would be noticed. In some instances he was gone for a few days. The police were even looking for him. I believe that he was actually taken and the aliens wanted him to find a reason to save Earth.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I think it's possible the abductions were a form of defense mechanism to help him deal with some of the emotional aspects of the situations he was in, and his relationships. I think certain emotions are too hard to put into words and we all find different ways to escape them - perhaps this was his.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I think aliens exist and what Henry experienced was actually alien abduction. The universe is a huge place. The possibility of other life forms is just as wide.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also believe it is alien abductions that he is experiencing because of the fact that he keeps finding himself naked. I mean, it can also be psychosis where he's in a trance and doing all this himself without realizing it.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I want to believe that it was actually aliens and not that he was crazy. I definitely believe in aliens and it makes perfect sense for it to be an abduction rather than his imagination.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have always believed that aliens do exist. What happened with Henry in the book is alien abduction according to me.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I think that it was a real abduction rather than a psychosis.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”