Is Henry Relatable?

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Is Henry Relatable?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Henry has some deep emotional baggage right from the beginning of the novel. Father leaving, unstable home environment, boyfriend committing suicide, and even bullying at school.
  • 1) Do you find his character relatable to teenagers nowadays? Or is his situation unique?

2) Are there any experience(s) that can be generalized for most teenagers?

3) Which one do you think would relate to a high school teenager the most? How about the least?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

hsimone wrote:Henry has some deep emotional baggage right from the beginning of the novel. Father leaving, unstable home environment, boyfriend committing suicide, and even bullying at school.
  • 1) Do you find his character relatable to teenagers nowadays? Or is his situation unique?

3) Which one do you think would relate to a high school teenager the most? How about the least?
I work with teenagers daily and can definitely say that Henry is relatable. Teens come to school with problems that would turn your hair gray. They can be abused by their parents or their boy friends or girl friends. They can be bullied in person or on social media. They may have substance abuse problems. They may be homeless and living out of a car. They may need to deal with death such as a parent, friend or other loved-one. Most teens are trying to build a self image and all of these factors can have a huge impact. What they see in the mirror may not reflect the truth of who they are but instead may reflect what others see. That is why bullying can be so dangerous. It makes me think of Diego's painting of Henry. He sees something in Henry that Henry couldn't see himself - his strength. In terms of which factor would most teens relate to - I would say Henry's insecurities. All teens want to be accepted and fear being rejected by their peers whether it be because of their looks, their SES, their intellect or lack there of, or for some other real or perceived deficit.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Well said :clap:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It was very well put, thank you!

I feel that teenagers have too much baggage just being teens, never mind with everything that have to deal with their home life. I've worked with children from babies to middle school, and their stories always break my heart.

When thinking about the least generalized experience that teenagers have to deal with, I was going to say suicide. However, one of my closest friends in high school began cutting herself. Her insecurities and the wanting to be accepted by more got too be too much for her. She never talked about committing suicide, however, she did talk down about herself a lot. Luckily, she stopped after we talked; though I did have to result to threatening to tell her parents if she continued. We kept in touch for a while after high school, but as some friends do, we fell apart. But, last I heard she was doing fine.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I think Henry is a very relatable character for teens. Even those who may not have problems at home that are as severe as his are, I think it paints a fairly accurate picture of a typical school setting. I think having an absent parent is the most relatable problem that Henry has. I remember more of my friends growing up in one parent household than not. Suicide seems like it would be the least relatable of Henry's experiences.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Henry's extremely relatable, not just to teenagers, but anyone who is stuck in an existential funk.

Contemporary teenagers can relate to Henry; because the teenage years are an in-between time, few things are certain, many teens are prone to melancholy, and it's during this time (if not earlier) that the existential crisis is experienced. Henry is morbid, but he has a wry sense of humour that teenaged readers will enjoy; it makes him very real.
We Are the Ants explores generalised teenage issues such as a missing parent, aging family members, sibling rivalry, high school (which is a never-ending nightmare if one is at the bottom of the totem pole) uncertainty about the future, cynicism, the beginnings of misanthropy and insecurities.
I think Henry's insecurities are the most relatable, with existential despair a close second. What some might not relate to as much is the dysfunctional family, or barely functioning family. You can have a wonderful family but still question the meaning of your existence, and if it really matters in the greater scheme of things.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

Henry is definitely relatable and I think everyone, not just teens, can empathize with his situation. I taught high school and also went to high school and I can say without a doubt, that aside from the alien abductions, Henry is not totally unique. One major experience that can be generalized to most kids/teens is how rumors, then nicknames, can lead to unbelievable pain.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Like everyone else that has posted, I would definitely say that Henry is relatable. I do think a lot of the book was overkill on the situations. I mean Henry had a lot of family issues. Almost all of them are extremely relevant for teenagers but actually having all of them happen to one person was a little much in my opinion.

I agree with megwe. The rumors and name calling is definitely a generalized experience that every school has and can cause the most damage. Physical pain heals over time but emotional and phycological stay with you forever.

I would say the alien abductions were the least relevant. I had two suicides and multiple attempts/cutting in my highschool. Even if people don't actually succeed in killing themselves, I think there are a lot more attempts than people think. I used to work in children's hospital and I can't even name how many attempts there were daily. Most of them were teenagers.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Between the Shelves
Currently Reading: Holding up the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-between-the-shelves.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Between the Shelves »

I think, despite having a specific set of problems that he is dealing with, Henry is completely relatable to any teen. Young adult literature, especially realistic fiction, is inherently relatable, because it often deals with finding your place, coming of age, acceptance, etc. Adolescence is an awkward time for most people, and while Henry might have more baggage than most, I still believe he's very relatable.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

1) Do you find his character relatable to teenagers nowadays? Or is his situation unique?

(1a) Henry's situation is not unique as far as bullying, a broken home, and confusion over sexual identity. The answer is a bit different when you add aliens.

(2a) The most generalized experience I see shared by teenagers is the dysfunctional family. This does not mean having only one parent. A person can have two caring but usually stoned parents. I have arrested mom and pop as they saw their child as an object of further enjoyment in the bedroom. So I mention the label dysfunctional as a term that encompasses more than abandonment.

(3a) The least relatable would be the alien experience. The most relatable would be the inability to find appropriate (defined by the victim) help.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Henry's situation is very relatable. Many teenagers nowadays experience bullying, not just in school, in the community, but also in social networking sites. One thing more is having a broken family. Most children suffer when their parents separate like feeling insecure, having self-doubt, low self-esteem, and misplaced anger. Most importantly, it is relatable because many also experience identity crisis.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”