Historical fiction.

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Historical fiction.

Post by MarisaRose »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I love historical fiction! But, it has to be good fiction, not contrived, and it has to be real - not fake facts =D When I find a good marriage between a compelling story and reality, I am in book heaven. But then, I have always had a strong connection to history, so that's probably part of it. Sometimes when I am in a place, I can sense good or evil that has happened. That's a little spooky, so I don't go around trying to sense stuff LOL!
I definitely agree about the fake facts. I think the worst historical fiction are those that are based incredibly loosely on facts. That's very spooky that you can sense good or evil in a place! I wonder, have you ever been to any major historical sites where you have felt this?! So interesting!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

AA1495 wrote:I'm not a fan of historical fiction. It's either romance or Sci-Fi for me!
Same here.? But add young adult too. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

I used to enjoy historical fiction so much. As I have gotten older I have exhausted my supply of historical fiction works that could be described as classic or time-honored. As I look more and more for new historical fiction pieces, I find myself becoming disappointed because many authors don't seem to be doing as much background research as they ought to. In this case, where there is a healthy dose of fantasy involved, I am usually more forgiving.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I don't particularly like historical fiction because I am not really interested in reading about the past. So reading a book based on a past that is made up isn't really my thing. I like to read books that focus on the present or the future so I really enjoy reading fantasy or sci-fi books.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Historical fiction is not a genre I usually read. It has been something that has interested me lately. I'm trying to be open to different genres and broaden my reading experiences. I do like historical fiction that fits into dystopian societies. I tend not to like books that use major historical figures in a fictional book, that always seems a bit cheesy to me.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. It is an easy and enjoyable way of learning something that I may not have known about before when done right. Sometimes, it'll make me do some research, which I also enjoy.

If I do know the subject matter, then I like reading another perspective of the same event; it might give me another perspective that I might not have thought about before.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

I occasionally like reading historical fiction. But most of the historical fiction books I read are of the romance in the victorian era variety lol. You know the ones, with the "too modern" woman and the rake who don't want to get married ever but then fall in love and end up getting married. Even in these types of historical fiction novels, what I enjoy, aside from the romance, is learning about the time period and the social and cultural norms at that time. In general, I love stories that are set in a time other than our own, because we get to learn about the past and how much our future has changed from that. But I enjoy watching historical movies more than reading about them, I don't know why.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

It's a genre that I venture into very sporadically, but I do enjoy it. History fascinates me, so like the combination of fiction with history. It's a much more fun way to learn our past than the way taught at schools. ;)
ZamaMbatha88
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zamambatha88.html

Post by ZamaMbatha88 »

Not sure if I would read till the last page lol.....
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Historical fiction is my genre of choice, I have always loved reading about European history, the Tudor era in particular although I will read most time frames. Lately, it seems that the historical books take place during WWI and WWII. I just finished one called Stolen Beauty by Laurie Lico Albanese about how the Nazi's stole art and other valuables from the Jews in Europe.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I love historical fiction and I love fantasy so this book is a great combo of the two.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Post by Mollymae »

I love reading historical fiction but I really wouldn't categorize this book as such. It uses history as a backdrop, but really doesn't use it to structure his story or provide perspective of any kind.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
BrittH930
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britth930.html

Post by BrittH930 »

Historical fiction is my favorite genre, even when I was a little kid. I am curious to see if the sci-fi will affect the history, or add to entertainment, little skeptical, but I am going to read
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I read historical fiction more than any other genre. It often sparks an interest in learning more about a time period. It also makes it easier to make connections and understanding to the past.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

When well-executed by an author willing to do research behind a subject, I think that it could be a very entertaining genre. Some of the books that I admire the most are in the historical fiction genre.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”