Veterans

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Veterans

Post by Julie Ditton »

In the book, the protagonist is trying to deal with the horrors of war. Do you feel that the feelings of a war veteran were well portrayed?
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

At times I felt Steven had many of the standard PTSD type symptoms typical of a veteran; however, it was difficult to tell if these symptoms were due to his time as a soldier or a side effect of the immortality pills. I don't think the author was really focusing on Steven as a war veteran, but it made sense for the purposes of the plot. If Steven had been portrayed more in this light, it would have taken away from his use of the immortality serum and the issues he faces in China.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MarisaRose wrote:At times I felt Steven had many of the standard PTSD type symptoms typical of a veteran; however, it was difficult to tell if these symptoms were due to his time as a soldier or a side effect of the immortality pills. I don't think the author was really focusing on Steven as a war veteran, but it made sense for the purposes of the plot. If Steven had been portrayed more in this light, it would have taken away from his use of the immortality serum and the issues he faces in China.
This is a good point, MariaRose! I didn't think about what the author was trying to focus on.

Personally, I don't have much experience with those who come back from war other than what I read about, but I think his desperate need to live could definitely be plausible as a veteran.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

True, it is a good point that the author was not focused on the post-war veteran experience. That experience requires long and careful and systematic investigation. Those trying to do so inevitably run into the veterans who conclude "You can't know, you weren't there."

There were many elements of the post-war experience touched on. The best, unnamed, was the despair that veterans feel when they find out you really can't go home again. That is a part that doesn't get addressed by those who deal only with horrific experiences. This is what led Steven to travel, experiment with music, and, finally, travel to Tibet.

The stupidest question I have been (repeatedly) asked, "How does it feel to kill someone?"

You can't know if you haven't had the experience.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I agree with the previous posts. While a touch of PTSD was coming through in the character, that's not what the book was focusing on. However, his experiences with war and PTSD did play a part in leading him down the path he chose.
Rae3839414243
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rae3839414243 »

My dad,grandpa and uncle are veterans. My dad went to Germany but all he really did as he told me many years ago is arrest his own men for drinking and direct traffic lol what job. :lol2: My grandpa just recently turned 95 was in Normandy. That's really cool :) . My uncle was in Vietnam. My aunt and him believe that the cancer he's suffering with he either got while in Vietnam from chemicals there or when he worked at a rubber factory he got it. I'll just keep him and my aunt in my prayers. He's one strong man with his faith.
  • [youtube][/youtube]
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I agree with the others. While a touch of PTSD was coming through in the character, that's not what the book was focusing on, though it did play a great part in Steven choosing what he chose.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Natalie Charlene wrote:I agree with the previous posts. While a touch of PTSD was coming through in the character, that's not what the book was focusing on. However, his experiences with war and PTSD did play a part in leading him down the path he chose.
True. In the book, it would've been great to see a more focused characterisation.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”