What do you think,your'e life will be as an immortal?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Re: What do you think,your'e life will be as an immortal?

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Definitely a bunch of mixed emotions going through my head right now. Immortality with eternal youth would surely encourage me to accomplish much more. But I might get tired in the process. My life might even seem a burden. I don't think I'm completely ready for immortality yet. A lot of planning is required!
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Immortality with eternal youth would surely encourage me to accomplish much more.
That's an interesting point. Would you age with immortality, or would you always remain the same? Could you choose what age you want to start being immortal? Say you learned about being immortal at the age of 10, could you wait until you were older to make the choice? Or do you age very slowly over time? Is a 100 years like 10? A 1000 years like 1?
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

Bad. I want to live then let to peace, not have to keep reliving the same life over generations. You wouldn't appreciate people as much if you were never to lose them.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

I think life as an immortal would depend greatly on your attitude towards life itself. On the one hand you would have to deal with everyone you care about dying while you did not. As an older person I face that now. And while it is always sad, in many cases it is a good thing. On the other hand look at the tremendous progress we have made. If you could stay active, vital, and involved there would be so much you could do. The big problem would be to not get trapped in a daily routine which stifled creativity. Look at the progress made in Groundhog Day! He learned music, poerty, foreign languages. There would always be something new to do and see - if you look for growth.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I'd like to think that I'd be able to keep changing the world - I'd have the time to understand the world and invent something big. At the same time however, I do think that the stress would get to me and I'd burn out some time.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

As a concept immortality sounds great, but it'd be better if we could choose when we die rather than live forever. I feel like I'd get bored with being immortal really fast. It would become a curse instead of a boon.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Insomniac07 wrote:As a concept immortality sounds great, but it'd be better if we could choose when we die rather than live forever. I feel like I'd get bored with being immortal really fast. It would become a curse instead of a boon.
What an amazing thought! Have you heard of the great elder, Bheeshma, of the epic Mahabharata? He was gifted a boon exactly as you described by his father. Even when he was fatally wounded in the battlefield of Kurukshethra, he had the power to choose to die at a later, auspicious time.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Swara Sangeet wrote:
Insomniac07 wrote:As a concept immortality sounds great, but it'd be better if we could choose when we die rather than live forever. I feel like I'd get bored with being immortal really fast. It would become a curse instead of a boon.
What an amazing thought! Have you heard of the great elder, Bheeshma, of the epic Mahabharata? He was gifted a boon exactly as you described by his father. Even when he was fatally wounded in the battlefield of Kurukshethra, he had the power to choose to die at a later, auspicious time.
Of course, Bheeshma's story from the epic is one of the most memorable ones for me. His powers would make for an interesting superhero, don't you think?
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Insomniac07, of course! Our epics showed that with hard work and determination, humans could have superpowers too.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

If I currently just became immortal and my life was the way it was now, I would continue to live it the way I am. I don't think anything would change until my daughter and husband passed. I would continue to work and constantly continue to try to climb the social latter so then my later immortal life would be easier. My goal would be to not have to work the rest of my immortal life so I would definitely invest. I would end up going to school for probably everything under the sun. I currently have a degree in Business Admin but I always wanted to be a veterinarian. I would probably live that life for a while. Then maybe go to school for Writing. I would just explore every option that I had. I would travel the world and meet interesting people. I think I would be afraid to open up to anyone knowing that they would end up dying in front of me but I hope that's something I would be able to move past.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Mannie913 wrote:If I currently just became immortal and my life was the way it was now, I would continue to live it the way I am. I don't think anything would change until my daughter and husband passed. I would continue to work and constantly continue to try to climb the social latter so then my later immortal life would be easier. My goal would be to not have to work the rest of my immortal life so I would definitely invest. I would end up going to school for probably everything under the sun. I currently have a degree in Business Admin but I always wanted to be a veterinarian. I would probably live that life for a while. Then maybe go to school for Writing. I would just explore every option that I had. I would travel the world and meet interesting people. I think I would be afraid to open up to anyone knowing that they would end up dying in front of me but I hope that's something I would be able to move past.
This is so inspiring! I hope to have a beautifully planned out schedule like you! I wish you good health to do all you can and wish to in this life itself!!
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

I think for some time my life would be fun and adventurous. I would have plenty of time to save money for trips to travel the world. I would be able to do all the things that I want to do in my life now. There will come a time though where I have completed everything that I wanted to do and I will not have much else to do with my life. After everything is completed I feel like my life would turn dull rather quickly.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I agree that it would depend on how the immortal life was lived. I Definitely wouldn't want to be immortal if my body would keep aging with the immortality, losing ones physical and mental capabilities only to live forever wouldn't be very ideal.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Acwoolet wrote:I agree that it would depend on how the immortal life was lived. I Definitely wouldn't want to be immortal if my body would keep aging with the immortality, losing ones physical and mental capabilities only to live forever wouldn't be very ideal.
I too believe eternal youth should be combined for a happy life of immortality.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I think life will be easier and more exciting when you're an immortal. You get to do things you can't do before. You get to waste time because you won't ran out of it. However, like most things, when the excitement wears, you're left stuck in immortality. The whole immortal thing is not a joke to begin with. So it's better to tread carefully in dangerous waters.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”