If you were immortal, how would you change the world?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

If you were immortal, how would you change the world?

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

The idea of indefinite life is enough to make the mind spin with ideas, plans, and ambitions. Consider that most of the people we know to be cornerstones in society (past and present), don't live long enough to make the world a better place and even if they do, those changes are often short-lived. But to be an immortal? Changing the world might be just another Monday. What would you do to change the world?
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

AmeliaLovesBooks wrote:The idea of indefinite life is enough to make the mind spin with ideas, plans, and ambitions. Consider that most of the people we know to be cornerstones in society (past and present), don't live long enough to make the world a better place and even if they do, those changes are often short-lived. But to be an immortal? Changing the world might be just another Monday. What would you do to change the world?
I don't think I will be able to change the world even if I was immortal. I could probably guide people with my years of experience.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I hope to write books which encourage people to achieve their goals. I'd also wish to become a motivational speaker to inspire many.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I would like to volunteer more of my time to those in need (orphanage, nursing homes, etc.). There wouldn't be an excuse to not help out. I would also consider setting aside money on a weekly/bi-weekly basis and donate it to either organizations in need or giving some to the homeless.

Being immortal would allow me to have more time and resources that I would hope to help as many people out there as I can.

Also, I like what Swara Sangeet has said - perhaps being a motivational speaker and/or author to help others achieve their goals because presumably I would have so much experience that I could lend the world.

Good question!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I would have plenty of time to slowly write. I would try to write books that make people think. Hopefully I would inspire my readers to be better people. I can't remember which tv character it was,a Q or a Time Lord, but it turned out that the person we Davinchi and other historical greats.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't think I will be able to change the world either, but I will try to contribute and help those in need by volunteering and so on.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with what others have stated above, that I would not be able to change the world. If anything, I think given the extremely long life, if anything, I would get rather bothered by all the bad in the world and I think I would give up on trying to make a difference.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Forgive me, I'm going to go the geek route here...
I'd become a superhero! *Strikes a superhero pose*

But, to be a bit more serious about my geeky answer, one good deed can change someone's life, and one person's life can effect the world, even if it's not noticeable to history.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Gravy wrote:Forgive me, I'm going to go the geek route here...
I'd become a superhero! *Strikes a superhero pose*

But, to be a bit more serious about my geeky answer, one good deed can change someone's life, and one person's life can effect the world, even if it's not noticeable to history.
Yes. I would not be able to change the world but I will definitely do small tasks to help people. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

I would change the world by encouraging people to be kinder to each other. With the infinite time scale of immortality even a small change could have a huge influence on the world.

Though my second choice would be to become a crime fighting superhero vigilante like the Green Arrow :D
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
AmeliaLovesBooks wrote:The idea of indefinite life is enough to make the mind spin with ideas, plans, and ambitions. Consider that most of the people we know to be cornerstones in society (past and present), don't live long enough to make the world a better place and even if they do, those changes are often short-lived. But to be an immortal? Changing the world might be just another Monday. What would you do to change the world?
I don't think I will be able to change the world even if I was immortal. I could probably guide people with my years of experience.
Most people who set out to "change" the world, know that their efforts may be in vain. But as you say to "guide people with my years of experience." Even that may be enough to start plenty of chains toward a better society. Maybe I'm too optimistic....just a thought.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

You could record mistakes and plan and set up for them to not occur again. Prepare knowing the past from generations before you and there should never be an unexpected.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

I'm not sure you could change the world as an immortal. To effect major change you usually need wealth and power. However if you acquire too much of it, you would immediately be revealed and probably hunted. If you stay quiet in the background you stand a much better chance of not spending eternity as a lab test. I might try becoming some sort of conservationist setting aside land and preserving rare and endangered species.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Well, for starters, I don't think I'd reveal to anyone that I was immortal, the reason being I AM NOT going to become a lab rat for the rest of eternity. Second of all, I'm pretty sure my attempts at changing the world wouldn't get me anywhere, unless I had other people willing to help me make a change.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would work to spread love and kindness across the artificial boundaries that we humans tend to put up.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”