Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Chatmaine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post by Chatmaine »

Is immortality a good or a Bad thing? Living forever is good,people today wishing if they can spend through the next decades or hundred years to lived. its sound good but living immortality is scary . Death is sound scary but do you know What is more scary? That is never dying. Why would anyone want to live forever if their is Will be a war if that happen. Think, imagine a world all of Us is immortal What Will happen to our world? We Will have a war Because of food and place. God make Us mortal with a reason that is "die and Born" thousand of people die but thausand of baby born its make like that to make it fair and not over population. What Will happen if it Will be over population? A war. Thats the first though for whole people immortal How about just One? Stay forever, A live and strong but the Love One die? Life become Nothing,full of pain , full of Missing and emtyness. And One thing if stay immortal pur happiness Will change,we Will expect more and more coz its been live the world ,our want change, or happiness change,our mind change, our attitude change its like evolution of human body the life of immortal person Will like that. A froze outside not inside.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I don't think for an individual there would be anything 'good' or 'bad' about being immortal. You would live and learn from your mistakes and hopefully lead a good life. What I think would be hard would be continually growing close to people and then those people always leaving your world. How much loss can one person take?
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Immortality is a good thing. It is people that aren't. I know most don't agree and believe that deep down inside man is good and wants to do good and given enough time he can show this. But history, the news, and our own experiences tell us otherwise.
Plus, like some have said unless accompanied with eternal youth, living forever would quickly become a curse.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Bunny Cakes
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunny-cakes.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bunny Cakes »

I thin that immortality is both good and bad. On one hand, you get to live forever and so you don't really have to fear death. On the other hand, you have to watch people you love age and die while you keep on living. I imagine an immortal would likely go insane and return to sanity in cycles because of this.
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

I guess you wouldn't really appreciate life to the fullest if you were immortal. On one hand, you would have infinite time at your hands but on the other hand you would get bored of everything after a while.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I believe immortality is a curse, the whole point of being human is the knowledge that someday we'll all die
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

hsimone wrote:I think it depends on a few things.
  • 1) The type of person (greedy vs. kind)
    2) How will it affect our environment? Will Earth become overpopulated if many were given the choice? (not enough resources)
    3) Quality of life for those who are not mentally stable and others.
    4) Religion - people were not created to live forever on Earth.
Very challenging question indeed. :eusa-think:
I couldn't agree more. This is a very challenging question...one that's always forgotten in the bustle of life but which will continually haunt us. If we can find a true answer to this question, we will do well for it embraces all that we want.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I think it's a double edged sword. You have forever to learn everything you ever wanted to and read A LOT of books. But, I think it would be terrible to watch, year-after-year, people you love or grow close to die.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Immortality is a burden for one not at peace with their environment, and largely,their fellow mankind. But it's interesting, if one gets that peace,even though they die, they still live forever in people's hearts.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

It totally depends on the person's perspective. For me, it is not a good thing. I believe that life is beautiful because it has an end.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I mentioned this on one of the posts too. Does this just mean you? What about your family? Friends? The world? The planet? I'm not sure I'd be cut out for that.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I think immortality would be good at first. There are indeed a lot of things you can do if you have boundless life. You can go back and study as many courses as you like, take different professions, meet different people. But I think at one point in one's life, when one has achieved everything he sought after, a person would want permanent peace. And this is the bad thing about immortality, because you have to keep living even if you want to pass on already.
Queen_abbitha

Post by Queen_abbitha »

Immortality would be bad. When everyone else in the world dies, you'll be left alone in time and space. You will go insane from lack of communication. Also being in space for so long will eventually lead to pain. Maybe you'll inescapably float into a sun and burn and not die, and eventually even a black hole. Imagine that pain and never dying. Immortality would be terrible.
patrichy

Post by patrichy »

Immortality would only bring problems, the earth would be overpopulated and there wouldn't be room for the future generation.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I don't think I would love being immortal. I don't think I could handle watching as all my friends and loved ones grow old and die. I think it would be a really lonely existance.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”