Opinion and Rating of Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Opinion and Rating of Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by MarisaRose »

After finishing Raven's Peak, what is your overall opinion and star rating?

I enjoyed the story, I thought it started out strong and the pacing kept me going, but I had a hard time connecting with/liking some of the main character. I also wish the ending had been a little more satisfying! (Even though I understand it is the first in the series.)

Overall, I rate Raven's Peak 3 out of 4 stars and look forward to the next installment.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I have a review of it in the Volunteer section, but basically I thought the best thing about it was the awesome prologue with Arthur and just how readable the book was. It made me want to keep turning the pages. However, overall I was not impressed because Haatim and Abigail were not interesting protagonists and the book's plot felt short. Also, the world of Raven's Peak could have had more depth. I gave it 2 out of 4 stars.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I enjoyed the story and rated it 3 out of 4 as well. I found the characters easy to relate. There wasn't enough background on Haatim and Arthur, but it may be given in the next installment. The story line flows smoothly and there isn't a dull moment. It certainly kept my interest, though like you I wish for a more satisfying ending.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It has a perfect plot and the detailed characterization is anazing. The readers will surely love this book for eternity.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The ending is the reason I'll give it 3 out 4 stars.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a tough one. I too enjoyed the beginning with Arthur. It was almost a little downhill from there. I say 3 out of 4.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I liked the plot very much but more than that I was drawn towards the beautiful relationship that Arthur shared with Abigail. I rate the book 3 out of 4 as I din't connect to some of the bits. Overall it was a great one.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Harsh99
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh99.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Harsh99 »

Yes, I agree that the ending could have been a bit better. But I really liked the book other than that.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

AliceofX wrote:I have a review of it in the Volunteer section, but basically I thought the best thing about it was the awesome prologue with Arthur and just how readable the book was. It made me want to keep turning the pages. However, overall I was not impressed because Haatim and Abigail were not interesting protagonists and the book's plot felt short. Also, the world of Raven's Peak could have had more depth. I gave it 2 out of 4 stars.
@AliceofX I agree with you on many points! The prologue was by far the best part. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't hold quite the same tone as the prologue. I also had a hard time liking or connecting with either Abigail or Haatim.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Easily 4 out of 4 stars. I would love to have some things changed about the book, but it was really fun to read and I think that was the entire point. The ending could have used cleaning up, but I definitely enjoyed reading it and look forward to continuing.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I gave it a 3 out of 4. It had a strong start, but Abigail and Haatim slowed down the plot with their choices. The ending was also unsatisfactory.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Zachary92
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Zachary92 »

4 out of 4 stars for me because I loved the opening. It sort of stalled out there in the middle for a while but the ending was really good.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I gave it a 3 out 4 stars. I like how it was action packed and never a dull moment. I also like how Abigail and Haatim connected and helped each other without really knowing it. I wasn't to happy about the ending but I think it gives you a good idea of how the second book is going to start.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

christinac_2585 wrote:I gave it a 3 out 4 stars. I like how it was action packed and never a dull moment. I also like how Abigail and Haatim connected and helped each other without really knowing it. I wasn't to happy about the ending but I think it gives you a good idea of how the second book is going to start.
Yeah, generally a lot of people were a little frustrated by the ending. For me, it felt more like an 'afterword' then an ending, but being a piece of the book detracted from the entire thing.

I hope the author learns from that in the future.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

James Craft wrote:
christinac_2585 wrote:I gave it a 3 out 4 stars. I like how it was action packed and never a dull moment. I also like how Abigail and Haatim connected and helped each other without really knowing it. I wasn't to happy about the ending but I think it gives you a good idea of how the second book is going to start.
Yeah, generally a lot of people were a little frustrated by the ending. For me, it felt more like an 'afterword' then an ending, but being a piece of the book detracted from the entire thing.

I hope the author learns from that in the future.
If you read in the author questions post, it appears the publishers made that chapter that everyone dislikes as part of the first book instead of a peek in the next book. I thought that was very interesting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”