Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Dh_ wrote:I like good vs. evil even though it can be predictable. Yee, everyone expects good to win, but sometimes it doesn't. Even if you know good will win, I would rather have that than have evil win.
Yay! I don't like stories allowing evil to win. I feel like it glorifies evil. I still believe in the good heart of men leading to good deeds thriving over evil deeds.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I like it when the story isn't just good vs evil, or at least, when it's harder to draw the line between the good and evil characters. I like the good vs evil theme when there's betrayal, characters are switching sides, and we really begin to question: why are we rooting for the good guys?
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

While there are some spectacular books that follow this theme, my favorite has to be the one that turns it on it's head. Evil vs good. It takes the same battle but gives it a unique perspective.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

That's a discussion that can go on forever! As other people may also have mentioned, I too believe that Good should win eventually. It is inspiring for young ones and a good role model. However, life is not like this and many times Evil (or just the not so good and honest) wins. So I would say that sometimes, we need to see that coming too.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Asega joel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asega joel »

I just like the reference good vs evil,just in the holy book,the Bible as written its through deeds which people think are evil ,which brings salivation in to mankind, and always repent their evil deeds .that how people are able to realise realities in life
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Good vs. Evil is very real and it has been happening since time immemorial. The best-selling book of all time, the Bible, says so.

While it is true that evil sometimes wins in this world, good will prevail in the end. That is what my religion teaches and what a relief to know that it is so.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

its always predictable that good will always win.but we become disappointed if evil wins over good.
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Post by toshilou »

I tend to try to avoid Good vs. Evil books just because they're fairly predictable as you read them. It's just one of those things that most of them follow the same pattern.
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
pasjos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pasjos »

it does not always work as we expect
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I agree that we always think that good will win over evil in books. I enjoy books the most that have no black and white definition of good and evil, more a grey spectrum. That a good person can do evil deeds and likewise an 'evil' person can preform good ones. It is unrealistic to think of something pure evil and much more relatable to have a character that is battling with both sides. A good example is the Game of Thrones season where there is no real line between good and evil and 'good' characters are killed off just as easily as 'evil' ones - making it believable!
Karrar Ri
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karrar-ri.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00GQDBZUY

Post by Karrar Ri »

MarisaRose wrote:The theme of Good vs. Evil features strongly in Raven's Peak. It is a theme as old as time. How do you feel about books that focus on this theme?

I find the biggest downfall with these types of books is that many times they become predictable because we assume Good will prevail. I also dislike when 'evil' characters are one dimensional as they tend to be incredibly annoying to read about.
i think every one has good and evil inside so theme like this will be nromal but what mix both i think it will be extraordinary.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

Good vs. evil is a common theme, as it is common in life. The theme will be around forever. Unless people just suddenly stop being evil one day.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I like to read books where evil triumphs over good because I like reality, and in real life, evil wins sometimes. But when it becomes too regular, it takes away the hope from life and in reality, there's hope where there's life.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Well, like many other people, I prefer to read books where the characters cannot be simply characterized as good or evil. The world is comprised by shades of grey, and I prefer books that reflect and try to capture their complexity. Flawed characters are largely better for me than more one dimensional but fully good characters.

However, I also like feel-good books once in a while that are straight forward with likable 'good guys' and explicit evil characters where the good guys win.

I think there is potential for a book about the evil character winning, although it would need to walk a fine line to avoid being completely doom and gloom.
Wael El-Manzalawy
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wael-el-manzalawy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Wael El-Manzalawy »

There are many turns in the conflict. Sometimes good prevails. Other times evil prevails. That is life. But we want the victory of the good because if the evil prevails at the end, we feel that there is something wrong.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”