The Ending (SPOILERS!)

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Re: The Ending (SPOILERS!)

Post by jemgirl202 »

I felt the ending was a little anti-climatic but those final paragraphs are what hooked me. It made me want to read the next book!
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

This book seems like it is introducing the characters, problems etc. for the rest of the series, so that's probably why it doesn't seem like it has much of a resolution.
Ebe Read
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3364">Good Omens</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebe-read.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ebe Read »

I am happy with the way the book ended. It left me wanting to buy the next, just to find out what and why.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

I get that the ending was to make the reader interested in the next book, but I think that Abigail's possible execution is a bit much for a cliffhanger. Especially after Haatim himself was left in the dark to what Frieda and Abigail were discussing until the last minute! I do enjoy the rest of the book though and look forward to the second book in the series.
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

I absolutely hated the epilogue. Not for the writing, just the placement. I can handle the news of Abigail having to deal with the trial and potential death sentence, but that epilogue should have been the first chapter of the second book. The battle with the demon had ended and everything was slowing down, and then the epilogue tries to pick us back up again but failed.
Sidenote: I also disliked the prologue.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Unlike most series I've read, Ravens Peak did not end with a proper conclusion. This is partly due to the chapter when they go searching for the knife. I felt the book might have been better without the last chapter since it would lead to a proper conclusion and closure instead of a prologue to the next book.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Lyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyra.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lyra »

No. I think that the ending is easily misconstrued as supposed to be 'the ending' per se. It is after all marketed as part of a series, then if the book ended anti-climactically there would be no hook to the next installation. In my mind, the book was a story told in three parts with three issues needing to be resolved but only one is ultimately satisfyingly ended - the battle with the child-possessing demon. Looking at it in this point of view, the mystery behind the demon who took Arthur and that revelation is attention grabbing, but the search for the knife that went missing which also lead to Abigail's sentence is a reminder of that hook that we also need to care about other characters aside from Arthur and the mystery demon. So we are taken by the series to find out more about what happens next to all of them. I hope I made sense in this post because I really liked the book.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

When I read the book, I thought the epilogue was the end. I realized this was not the case after scrolling down. I was a bit surprised, but I enjoyed it because I thought it was like an introduction to the next book in the series. And I loved the final bombshell.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

Yeah I too thought that the ending should have come after the battle with the demon to atleast make it more enticing.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

I was okay with the ending but I was a bit confused because most books don't end with an anti-climatic scene and it felt dull, especially after the fight with the demon. Though I thought that it was interesting way to end the first book, since it left you with question and wonderment about what would happen next. However, I would say that I'm not a huge fan of the ending, it made me feel incomplete about the book and bothered me that there was a very brief resolution.
Rumyana Bumbarova
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumyana-bumbarova.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rumyana Bumbarova »

I agree that the story couldn't have ended after the demon is cast out because it would've left the dagger just hanging, but the scenes in the cave did take away a lot of the action and the suspense. It felt like the story was building up to something and failed to deliver it. I know that this is a series and the reader is supposed to be a little left in the dark at the end - it's a classic cliffhanger, so I could see how the ending is logical. I don't know, though, whether or not I'm going to continue with these books, not because this book was bad but simply because it wasn't something unique.
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html

Post by fayetino »

this was the first book so that was a good ending. it keeps the story going and I think that's what makes readers want to read the next book.
StephenieJ
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stepheniej.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by StephenieJ »

I feel the same way about the ending! The last 4 chapters, I realized I was getting close to the end and I could NOT stop reading.. only to be left feeling a lot of unsatisfying feelings. I realize it's only book one.. but I was really hoping to learn more about the significance of the knife, maybe get a little taste of the councel.. figure out where Arthur is. It wasn't a BAD ending by any means, however. It left me ready and wanting MORE!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
lrbfilm
Currently Reading: Nevermoor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrbfilm.html

Post by lrbfilm »

I had a unique experience while reading, the file type I was using for the book didn't indicate page number so I was just flipping through and was expecting the story to keep going. When it hit the end it was jarring, the stuff with the dagger made me feel like there were still several more chapters to go before any sort of conclusion. I am glad she went looking for it then though, she had a sense of urgency for finding it and letting it wait until the next book would have taken away from her as a character and it as an object of power.
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Harrygx3 »

I think the story ended nicely considering the fact that it has to build up some hype for the next books in the trilogy. Haatim and Abigail going for the knife was definitely another climax but a welcome one.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”