Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Kisses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3330">Love accidental</a>
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post by Kisses »

For me, having romance in the story is depends on the characters they want to portray, sceneries that having strong strong feeling of love and depends in the target readers of the author. I love romance because it gives some twist in the story but I think putting just a little of it is enough, specially in a adventurous type of story this part should not be highlighted.
In Love stories, well this is mostly awaited part. But still needs a little care in putting this.
Krystagbelen
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystagbelen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Krystagbelen »

I thought it was refreshing, I don't think there always has to be a romantic connection. Another book that I really love that has no romantic connection is Jurassic Park.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
felix etim edem
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by felix etim edem »

well in my own side of view,abigail and haatim were at first victim of love which sooner rather than later they might make it manifest ,romance has a lot to do in our daily life
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I don't really like stories with only love as the main theme. I appreciate a strong story. If it's intertwined with romance, that is fine. But romance shouldn't be the main thing for me. I like this story because the plot is much more important than the romance of the main characters. I hope the sequel would follow this as well.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

For me, I didn't really feel a romantic connection between Haatim and Abigail. I felt that they had more of a dynamic duo type of relationship in this book. However, as they get to know each other maybe their relationship would evolve into something deeper.
Egbenine
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Egbenine »

I think with a good level of romance and anger and romance again keeps the story interestingly longer and active! :roll2:

-- 13 Jun 2017, 15:25 --

Or maybe l am the odd one here!
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

This was one of my favorite things about this book. Way too many stories try to force the main characters into a relationship. It's like people think a book can't be good without romance, so I'm always happy to read a well-written story that proves this isn't true. I hope this is continued throughout the series, but I suspect it probably won't be.
syokau kimeu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by syokau kimeu »

:The book points out how different situations may bring people together that makes the book interesting to read.i like books that have romance in it even if it doesn't point out directly.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

WordHound wrote:This was one of my favorite things about this book. Way too many stories try to force the main characters into a relationship. It's like people think a book can't be good without romance, so I'm always happy to read a well-written story that proves this isn't true. I hope this is continued throughout the series, but I suspect it probably won't be.
I agree with you. There's more to a story than the romance. I like stories which keep the theme in a brighter light.
nisushah
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisushah.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by nisushah »

Actually, the way Abigail and Haatim characters have been shaped, they dont seem to be fit for each other. A romantic angle would be really difficult to sustain over a period of time. And plus I think its refreshing they didnt actually include a romance. But unever know, there are definitely other books coming up in this series
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I kept expecting their romance to blossom but it was kind of refreshing that it didn't. I think there is potential for them to get together in the future but I liked the development of their "working" relationship.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

It isn't necessary, but I like a good love story in my novels. I'm a sucker for slow burning romances, when the relationship is based on trust and friendship. I also like when being in a relationship changes the characters or adds to the plot. It just makes the romance subplot feel much more integral to the story.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Romance would be okay only if it is not out of place.
ecceden
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecceden.html

Post by ecceden »

I wouldn't mind a bit of romance into the story, but only if inst the main theme. They both are strong, independent characters and I see them as friends/working partners, but a little love here and there would make reading even more captivating.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Haatim is definitely attracted to Abigail. I like that they didn't have a romance in book 1. I preferred to focus on the suspense storyline. Maybe in the succeeding books they can have a romance.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”