Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Romance or lack of it

Post by gali »

In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't mind a romance developing, but it isn't necessary for the story either. I'm uncertain in this instance whether I would enjoy a romance between Haatim and Abigail or not.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This is a good question. I also expected the two to start a romance at some point. Honestly, I love some romance in most books, but it's sometimes refreshing to have a read that doesn't include a romance and focuses on the main plot of the story.

For here, I think it made sense that Haatim and Abigail didn't strike up a romance. To be honest, there wasn't enough time, and I feel it would have taken away from the plot if they did.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I will agree that a story where a romance does not develop between the female and male lead is rare and intriguing. That is because you expect to see romance in the story so it's interesting to be proved wrong. Personally, I prefer for there to be some romance in the books that I read. It doesn't have to be much because I sometimes hate when the romance take over the entire plot. I also hate when a female character start to lose her strength and become a love-sick buffoon. I was kind of hoping that Haatim and Abigail would develop a little romance.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
gali

Post by gali »

I like some romance as long as it doesn't take over the entire plot. Sometimes it even adds some spice to an otherwise dry plot.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I like romance sometimes, but it usually ends up feeling forced so I like that this one didn't have a lot of it. It might show up later in the series, but I won't mind if it doesn't.
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thimble »

Unless I'm reading a romantic story, I prefer there not to be a romance. Exclusions to this would be if the series is long and the romance is integral to the plot in some way. Most of the times authors put female characters in a book just so there's a side romance. I appreciated that there wasn't romance between Haatim and Abigail. Also, I really don't see them working out as a couple anyway.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Yeah, the book was too short for any kind of believable romance to develop. Personally, I hate it when a love story is inserted just for the sake of having one. You see this all the time in TV shows where the characters are eventually paired up with one another in romantic tangles and it always feels so forced. Unnecessary romance is one of the most common crimes in storytelling.
gali

Post by gali »

I agree the book was too short for any believable romance to develop. I wonder if there will be one in the next books.
A retired Admin/Mod

James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

AliceofX wrote:Yeah, the book was too short for any kind of believable romance to develop. Personally, I hate it when a love story is inserted just for the sake of having one. You see this all the time in TV shows where the characters are eventually paired up with one another in romantic tangles and it always feels so forced. Unnecessary romance is one of the most common crimes in storytelling.
Forcing it would have been terrible, but I could see it coming later on.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I definitely feel like there should be some sort of lead-up to a romance. A relationship shouldn't be used as a plot device, especially if the book is too short to really build up steam between the characters.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

It depends. There are instances when the love affair of the main characters in a story does not actually help in the development of the story. In this book, it's just right that Haatim and Abigail did not develop any special relationship.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

James Craft wrote:
AliceofX wrote:Yeah, the book was too short for any kind of believable romance to develop. Personally, I hate it when a love story is inserted just for the sake of having one. You see this all the time in TV shows where the characters are eventually paired up with one another in romantic tangles and it always feels so forced. Unnecessary romance is one of the most common crimes in storytelling.
Forcing it would have been terrible, but I could see it coming later on.

It would have felt very unnecessary and unnatural if it had developed here. I agree that if it was to develop later on in the story it would be more believable, and realistic. A lot of supernatural books have a lot of emphasis on romance, so it was actually quite nice that this one went without
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

There should be romance to add excitement in the story. maybe in the next book.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

In my opinion there is a beginning of romance in Raven's Peak. Abigail and Haatim started falling in love, it is quite evident. Further adventures will pull them together. :wink:
As for romance in literature, I like books with exciting plot, books that make think, empathize. I've read many wonderful books without any romance.
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”