Old Town of Raven's Peak

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Old Town of Raven's Peak

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I might walk around, but not go inside or on any of the buildings. I wouldn't want to fall through a rotting floor or have a roof collapse on my head!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I would never explore the Old Town on my own. Not even if I was paid a lot of money. Safety first is my motto. I could be forced to explore that place if I had 3 or more friends with me.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Chitopogi wrote:I would never explore the Old Town on my own. Not even if I was paid a lot of money. Safety first is my motto. I could be forced to explore that place if I had 3 or more friends with me.
We share the same motto.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I love hiking and the outdoors and I love finding weird stuff when I hike. I think I would explore it at the age I am now. If I was a kid I may be a little apprehensive about it. I would probably look around a little bit but not go too far in.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

I did find Bret's thought sequence during the book to be a bit mature for a kid who just turned twelve. However, as adventurous as I am, I don't know if I would have explored. My knee-jerk reaction in the situation was a "don't go in there" however, I was biased because I had been reading the story up until that point and I contextually knew he wasn't going to find puppies.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

When I was small I would go there with my friends. We would have a fun and good adventure. Now I would explore it by myself because most of my friends aren´t walk lovers. I have a pretty good intuition so if something went wrong I would go or even run away in time.

I think that Bret has his head full of his parents problems and he needs to go outside for a break. So when he reaches abandoned village he has something interesting to think of instead so he explores it. It´s realistic for me.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I think curiosity often gets the better of us. While I would probably like to think I'd be a bit more cautious, in reality I would probably explore because I can't help myself. I do think it isn't too off base that a young boy Bret's age would explore- just because it's something unknown and children tend not to think through this because of he development of their brains.

However that being said, I'm also good at trusting my gut and if my gut said get the hell out of there, I'd be gone. Especially if I heard something. I'm a bit of a scaredy ca when it comes to ghosts and stuff in real life.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I for sure think that a normal boy would explore like that. Me, not sure. It would probably depend on the time of day. I'd be more likely to explore in the daytime. At night?! FORGET IT.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

As a child I would have gone into the town without a second thought. Now a days I am much more cautious but I have adventurous friends that I know would be excited to explore a place like that with me.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think it is understandable that Bret would explore it! Haha I would have needed a friend with me though. And a big stick, just in case.
normindrasarawi
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by normindrasarawi »

Some young boys (young girls as well) are adventurous, so it’s realistic for a boy of Bret’s age exploring on such location. In my case, I would choose to stay at home. I’m not brave enough to explore on location where no one is around, it’s frightening and dangerous.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Neverland
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neverland »

You stumble across an old abandoned city in the woods. It's not a tourist destination. No one is around. It's clear that no one takes care of it, and no one visits. Do you explore as did Bret? Do you run away? Do you think it's realistic to think a boy of Bret's age would have continued on after finding such a location?
It gives a goosebumbs !
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

Since urban exploration is becoming popular these days, I don't doubt that it's realistic for someone to go explore the old town like Bret did. I honestly wouldn't have gone and explored myself unless I had a clear way back, some sort of weapon for self defense, a camera and another person. I would easily get spooked in a place like that alone, just because I was by myself!
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

If it was high noon I would probably walk the street and peek into a building I can see is moderately well lit. Dusk, dawn, or night no way. I scare myself in my own modern house at night. If I wasn't alone, I would take their lead. Most of my friends aren't explorers, but the husband most definitely is. He thinks he's big enough to keep me safe from everything so he would explore everywhere.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I probably would have never gone too far to lose the sight of other people around me. As they say- "Curiosity killed the cat". Bret's mother should've told him that!

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”