About God in "Raven's Peak"

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: About God in "Raven's Peak"

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Aldonsa wrote:When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
I wonder maybe Council and Hunter's Order believe in the Aramaic Holy Spirit? :eusa-think:
I found it intriguing but have no idea why.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
Aldonsa wrote:When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
I wonder maybe Council and Hunter's Order believe in the Aramaic Holy Spirit? :eusa-think:
I found it intriguing but have no idea why.
It has definitely sparked a lot of discussion in the forum here! If that was the author's intent, its working!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This may not be the answer, but several people believe in a goddess instead of God. Or, they believe in a god and a goddess. This is huge in Wicca and also many pagan theologies.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Rinsola-Usman
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinsola-usman.html
Reading Device: B005625APM

Post by Rinsola-Usman »

I believe they were referring to Krishna. Because Haatim also mentioned Krishna when banishing the demon with the prayers his father father thought him.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I noticed that too! I personally liked it because God is normally referred to as a "He." I hope that it will be explained later. I think it was an intentional addition since all of the demons are gendered.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

In the Q&A, he was asked about the significance behind the use of "she." He said that it is not a major part of the plot. It was just done to make the characters unique and show they have their own individual beliefs.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I know a number of Christians--including a few ministers who sometimes refer to god as "She."

While I haven't asked explicitly, the impression I always get is that they're pointing out that God is inherently genderless, and if we hear "he" as most appropriate, that's a reflection of us and our patriarchal culture, not of God.

I mean, the bible portrays god as multi-gendered. Deuteronomy 32:18, for example, goes out of its way to portray god as both father and mother.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Rebeccaej wrote:I know a number of Christians--including a few ministers who sometimes refer to god as "She."

While I haven't asked explicitly, the impression I always get is that they're pointing out that God is inherently genderless, and if we hear "he" as most appropriate, that's a reflection of us and our patriarchal culture, not of God.

I mean, the bible portrays god as multi-gendered. Deuteronomy 32:18, for example, goes out of its way to portray god as both father and mother.
That's interesting to know. I never knew there was a line in the Bible that portrayed God as both genders. Thank you for that information. I realized something new today.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Rebeccaej wrote:I know a number of Christians--including a few ministers who sometimes refer to god as "She."

I don't see where it says that in Deuteronomy. Chapter 32, verse 18 says: 18Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

gali wrote:I don't know why, but I found it refreshing.
The same, I liked it, and at the end of the day, why not?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html

Post by Rebeccaej »

rssllue wrote:

I don't see where it says that in Deuteronomy. Chapter 32, verse 18 says: 18Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
Interesting. Most translations have the first line as "fathered you," and the second line as, "gave you birth."

And pairing those ideas in that format--so that they slightly contradict each other, mostly build on each other, and mean more together than either does individually--that's very in keeping with Hebrew poetic styles.

-- 09 Apr 2017, 11:27 --
Amagine wrote:

That's interesting to know. I never knew there was a line in the Bible that portrayed God as both genders. Thank you for that information. I realized something new today.
Oh there's definitely more than one. I was actually trying to look up a different one--that's kind of poetic and uses the image of a creature giving birth, followed by the idea that God also has a womb and gave birth. I think it's in Psalms. I can't remember enough about it to find it, but I found this in my googling.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

In Raven's peak, God is a she, and this I believe is a drastic move for feminism. In analysis, God must not have sex classification, God is supposedly perfect. Carrying either of the female or male sex connotes imperfection. Come to think of it.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:This may not be the answer, but several people believe in a goddess instead of God. Or, they believe in a god and a goddess. This is huge in Wicca and also many pagan theologies.
I like an idea about wicca in the ranks of Council :!:

-- 10 Apr 2017, 06:13 --
Rinsola-Usman wrote:I believe they were referring to Krishna.
Krishna was a male :wink:

-- 10 Apr 2017, 06:20 --
Amagine wrote:In the Q&A, he was asked about the significance behind the use of "she." He said that it is not a major part of the plot. It was just done to make the characters unique and show they have their own individual beliefs.
Oh, that's more understandable! The characters are unique in their beliefs and the readers have free scope to imagination. :idea:
Thanks for the information! :tiphat:

-- 10 Apr 2017, 06:27 --
rssllue wrote:
Rebeccaej wrote: I mean, the bible portrays god as multi-gendered. Deuteronomy 32:18, for example, goes out of its way to portray god as both father and mother.
When I was looking for information about God gender, I found that God can be considered as both father and mother in a paper that referred to the bible. But I failed to find about it in the bible. :(

-- 10 Apr 2017, 06:29 --
Rebeccaej wrote: Oh there's definitely more than one. I was actually trying to look up a different one--that's kind of poetic and uses the image of a creature giving birth, followed by the idea that God also has a womb and gave birth. I think it's in Psalms. I can't remember enough about it to find it, but I found this in my googling.
Very interesting ideas! :tiphat:

-- 10 Apr 2017, 06:35 --
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:In analysis, God must not have sex classification, God is supposedly perfect. Carrying either of the female or male sex connotes imperfection. Come to think of it.
I agree with you, God must be perfect so he must be out of any human classifications. But people need to refer to him/her somehow.
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Aldonsa wrote:
rssllue wrote:
Rebeccaej wrote: I mean, the bible portrays god as multi-gendered. Deuteronomy 32:18, for example, goes out of its way to portray god as both father and mother.
When I was looking for information about God gender, I found that God can be considered as both father and mother in a paper that referred to the bible. But I failed to find about it in the bible. :(
I have never seen God referred to as mother in the bible. I have seen Him many times referred to as Father and always with masculine pronouns as well. Jesus always called Him Father too. Things are usually pretty easy to find and understand in the bible actually (especially with search engines today), so if you struggle trying to find it, it probably isn't really in there to begin with. No matter what, it is a great book to read from cover to cover, which also keeps all of the verses in context which is so very important. I highly recommend reading it! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

It did not bother me having God as "she". I look at it as a personal preference. God is also known as Alpha and Omega. My opinion is that we will not know until we get to where we are going.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”