Demonic world in Raven’s Peak

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Demonic world in Raven’s Peak

Post by Aldonsa »

The book made me wonder how the demonic world (or hell) is organized. On the one hand there are references to Kabala, but there are contradictions too. Belphegor is not the demon of madness; he is supposed to be the demon of technological progress and laziness. Belphegor is an ancient and very serious demon; he doesn’t need to possess a human to cause damage. The same goes for Abaddon, he is even more powerful. When I read Abigail’s words “I came here to send the demon Abaddon back to hell”, I was very surprised. No one could send Abaddon back to hell for thousands years! :shock:
Maybe there are some other theories about hell and demons that accord with the book more? :eusa-think:
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I'm only about halfway in so I can't answer this yet, but I was thrown off by Abigail's declaration, too. She said she wants to send Abaddon back to hell. I had trouble with this name because in my experience Abaddon is a Knight of Hell and Sam and Dean Winchester had a hell of a time dealing with her (yes, I watch Supernatural). So I keep picturing the Abaddon in the book as the same Abaddon in the TV show Supernatural.

-- 16 Apr 2017, 17:10 --

I'm only about halfway in so I can't answer this yet, but I was thrown off by Abigail's declaration, too. She said she wants to send Abaddon back to hell. I had trouble with this name because in my experience Abaddon is a Knight of Hell and Sam and Dean Winchester had a hell of a time dealing with her (yes, I watch Supernatural). So I keep picturing the Abaddon in the book as the same Abaddon in the TV show Supernatural.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Maybe Abaddon is only extremely powerful when he is in hell. If he is outside of it, his power is weaker and that makes it easier for Abigail to get rid of him.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The confusion on Abbadon's characterization is what makes Raven's Peak unique. The declaration of Abigail keeps us thinking and wondering which compels us to finish the book to look for the answers.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:The confusion on Abbadon's characterization is what makes Raven's Peak unique. The declaration of Abigail keeps us thinking and wondering which compels us to finish the book to look for the answers.
I agree. :)
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan

Post by Aldonsa »

Christina O Phillips wrote:I'm only about halfway in so I can't answer this yet, but I was thrown off by Abigail's declaration, too. She said she wants to send Abaddon back to hell. I had trouble with this name because in my experience Abaddon is a Knight of Hell and Sam and Dean Winchester had a hell of a time dealing with her (yes, I watch Supernatural). So I keep picturing the Abaddon in the book as the same Abaddon in the TV show Supernatural.
I don't watch the TV show Supernatural, so I can't compare demonic characters. But in demonology Abaddon is indeed a very powerful knight of hell.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Aldonsa wrote:
Christina O Phillips wrote:I'm only about halfway in so I can't answer this yet, but I was thrown off by Abigail's declaration, too. She said she wants to send Abaddon back to hell. I had trouble with this name because in my experience Abaddon is a Knight of Hell and Sam and Dean Winchester had a hell of a time dealing with her (yes, I watch Supernatural). So I keep picturing the Abaddon in the book as the same Abaddon in the TV show Supernatural.
I don't watch the TV show Supernatural, so I can't compare demonic characters. But in demonology Abaddon is indeed a very powerful knight of hell.
I think I read that somewhere too.

Aldonsa

Post by Aldonsa »

Amagine wrote:Maybe Abaddon is only extremely powerful when he is in hell. If he is outside of it, his power is weaker and that makes it easier for Abigail to get rid of him.
It is an interesting idea. :idea:
In demonology Abaddon is a synonym of destruction and death. I think it means that he must be powerful in human world. (Or does he destroy hell? :shock: )
Nevertheless a demon of such high level doesn't have to possess someone, doesn't need a body for presence in our world.

-- 17 Apr 2017, 22:38 --
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:The confusion on Abbadon's characterization is what makes Raven's Peak unique. The declaration of Abigail keeps us thinking and wondering which compels us to finish the book to look for the answers.
That is a unique point of view of demons indeed. You are right, a reader is so confused that he have to finish all the series. :?
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

My husband absolutely loves Supernatural. I refuse to watch it because I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to demons and evil spirits.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I like to approach every work of fiction/fantasy openly and without comparing to the knowledge I have. For me, demons are not of the real world we live in, so it's intriguing to see what books and films do with them, twist them, make them their own. If you compare with TV shows, you will lose the beauty of what you are reading. I love demon books, but I will try not to have an expectation of how the author will deal with them in their story. It will be very interesting to see what Lincoln Cole does with his characters and how he is going to go about defeating the demons. (I haven't finished the book) And by the way, the author has one of the coolest names on the planet!! :)
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

As much as I hate to say this, Raven's Peak is a fictitious piece of work from the brilliant mind of Lincoln Cole. However, the author does interpret Belphagor in a very good way. I learned that it was the demon of inventions, and usually seduces people by suggesting inventions that would help them get rich quick. I guess the author interpreted it as using humanity's basic desires to get an advantage over them. And yes, you've got a point; Abbadon would not be taken down that easily.

-- 02 Jun 2017, 15:40 --
Kdonegan91 wrote:
My husband absolutely loves Supernatural. I refuse to watch it because I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to demons and evil spirits.
I love Supernatural too! I can guarantee you, the show isn't as scary as it seems, and in fact, is emotionally complex. Then again, I'm a horror fan, so I'm not sure how my tastes correlate to yours…

On the bright side, the characters are cute.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I enjoyed how he would make hints at the structure and I have a feeling we will see more of it in the second and third book. I have never watched supernatural either. Is it any good?
Mrsbellaz
Currently Reading: Who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbellaz.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Mrsbellaz »

I'm happy to be reading these posts. Demons and demonic possession is one thing I do not like to read about or watch on tv. I will be happy to sit this book out...
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

I don't know much about demonology. I'm actually surprised that these demon names were not made up.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

I can't imagine very much organization to hell because I see hell as chaos and confusion. I do believe there is much evil in our world today. I have witnessed many supernatural occurrences in my lifetime. As far as demons go I have never seen one but that does not mean they don't exist. I have witnessed ghostly apparitions and even felt them on the edge of a bed in a house in Monticello, Ky where a man had murdered his family before killing himself. My cousin and I were sitting in one of the bedrooms getting ready for bed. The bedroom had swinging doors like an old saloon. We had heard heavy footsteps coming up the stairs and thought it was my Dad only when the doors started swinging like someone had passed through them no one was there. We heard the heavy footsteps getting louder but saw no one. Then the edge of the bed dipped down and it got extremely cold. We ran out of the room screaming. I can't explain how terrifying it was to find my Dad who was never scared of anything staring at the leaf of my Grand mother's table swinging. He was so scared he couldn't move. So I do believe that it is possible for evil to reside collectively in a place where truly evil things had happened. I mean if spirits can be trapped here when lives are suddenly lost in such a way it's a possibility that a demon is that lingering collective evil. Do I believe they can move around? Not so much but I won't rule it out. However They do make for interesting subjects in books and movies.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”