Haatim's Blog on Religion in Raven's Peak

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Haatim's Blog on Religion in Raven's Peak

Post by Christina O Phillips »

In this book Haatim had a blog called Hidden Lens where he wrote "about various religions of the world and how they interacted with each other in positive ways." His friend Kelly mentions his post "about how all religions stemmed from the same prism and how if people could understand that it would fix so many things."

1) Do you agree that religions interact with each other in positive ways? Why or why not?
2) Do you agree that all religions stem from the same prism?
3) Do you think that many things could be fixed if people believed that religions stemmed from the same prism?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hesitate to comment on this as it can be so divisive. I believe what I believe, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree in a friendly manner. I'm still willing to put my differences aside and be friends. Not everyone is like that, however.

With that disclaimer, I believe that the Bible teaches that Jesus is the only way to Heaven. So I would have to disagree with that statement.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

kandscreeley wrote:I hesitate to comment on this as it can be so divisive. I believe what I believe, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree in a friendly manner. I'm still willing to put my differences aside and be friends. Not everyone is like that, however.
For that reason I hesitated to even start this thread, but religion is in the book, so I wanted to ask anyway.

I believe everyone can have their beliefs and as long as we don't disrespect each others' beliefs we can still be friends and discuss this like mature people.

Thanks for being brave and responding.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Christina O Phillips wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:I hesitate to comment on this as it can be so divisive. I believe what I believe, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree in a friendly manner. I'm still willing to put my differences aside and be friends. Not everyone is like that, however.
For that reason I hesitated to even start this thread, but religion is in the book, so I wanted to ask anyway.

I believe everyone can have their beliefs and as long as we don't disrespect each others' beliefs we can still be friends and discuss this like mature people.

Thanks for being brave and responding.
Exactly! I'm not going to hate you because you don't believe the way I do. I think we can still have a respectful discussion. However, don't expect me to change my views, and I won't expect you to change yours. Let's just be adults about this whole thing!
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I agree with everything that's been said here so far. I have solid religious beliefs, but I am not going to get up in arms because someone disagrees with me. I can be friends with someone whose religion differs from my own.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I believe that most religions stem from one another. There's just different variations of basically the same thing. I think if people focused on the similarities instead of the differences, the world would be a more positive place.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Religion has been a debate even before saga. It may serve as a nexus between individuals who belong to the same sect. At the same time, it creates conflict between people from different beliefs.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Religion has been a debate even before saga. It may serve as a nexus between individuals who belong to the same sect. At the same time, it creates conflict between people from different beliefs.
You're right. There has been so many ways in our history that were over religion. It's shocking that something that is pure causes people to act so evil.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

Christina O Phillips wrote: 2) Do you agree that all religions stem from the same prism?
This statement is not true for ALL religions. For example polytheism and monotheism are completely different with different origins and background.
But for monotheistic religions it is correct. This fact is proved by historians and theologians from comparison of religious foundations. :ugeek2:
Christina O Phillips wrote: 1) Do you agree that religions interact with each other in positive ways? Why or why not?
No. In that way religious people interact with each other in positive way too, but unfortunately it's not so. :( I think we should divide religion and belief. Beliefs interact with each other in positive ways.
Christina O Phillips wrote: 3) Do you think that many things could be fixed if people believed that religions stemmed from the same prism?
Yes, but it is an utopian idea. :?
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Aldonsa wrote:
Christina O Phillips wrote: 2) Do you agree that all religions stem from the same prism?
This statement is not true for ALL religions. For example polytheism and monotheism are completely different with different origins and background.
But for monotheistic religions it is correct. This fact is proved by historians and theologians from comparison of religious foundations. :ugeek2:
Christina O Phillips wrote: 1) Do you agree that religions interact with each other in positive ways? Why or why not?
No. In that way religious people interact with each other in positive way too, but unfortunately it's not so. :( I think we should divide religion and belief. Beliefs interact with each other in positive ways.
Christina O Phillips wrote: 3) Do you think that many things could be fixed if people believed that religions stemmed from the same prism?
Yes, but it is an utopian idea. :?
You're right. It IS a utopian idea. An idea that could never really happen. HOWEVER, I think things could be fixed simply by being able to agree to disagree! We SAY we're "tolerant" but that's not really true. It's actually pretty sad.
—Neil Gaiman
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html

Post by Aldonsa »

kandscreeley wrote: You're right. It IS a utopian idea. An idea that could never really happen. HOWEVER, I think things could be fixed simply by being able to agree to disagree! We SAY we're "tolerant" but that's not really true. It's actually pretty sad.
I agree with you completely! People must learn to be a bit more honest :?
Elizabeth W Kariuki
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: word

Post by Elizabeth W Kariuki »

I believe that each religion is a different prism through which one looks at truth

-- 20 Apr 2017, 08:27 --

1) Do you agree that religions interact with each other in positive ways? Why or why not

I think the only negative effect is that because we have different kind of religion, people won't understand due to different insights about religion they believe in.
Shein30438
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shein30438.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG

Post by Shein30438 »

I don't necessarily believed they all interact with each other in a positive way, but I do believe they stem from the same prism. As you move from one religion to another, they are interpreting the same ideas in a different manner. I am a firm believer that religious acceptance would solve a lot of problems in the world. Unfortunately it will be a lot easier said than done. Many people are trapped in their own ideals and are unwilling to approve of others.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I completely agree that every religion is interconnected in some way. For me, it doesn't matter if people have different opinions about who to believe and how to worship. What matters is that we all agree on what's good and bad, and that we all work together and not fight each other.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Most religions focus on there being some way to ultimate happiness, whether it is heaven, or paradise or some other utopia. Most religions also have some set of "rules" or guidelines on how to reach said utopia. There are obvious differences between mono and polytheism, etc. However most focus on obedience to some person or book of standards. I am all fine for fair discourse. I'm all good with understanding that you believe one thing and I believe another. I do feel that true Christianity focuses more on a relationship with God rather than blind obedience. Scriptural Christianity teaches that Christ's death on the cross was in payment for the sins of His people, because no one could ever obey completely. impossible. When one accepts that payment, and takes Christ as Lord, that is Scriptural Christianity. That doesn't absolve one from the "doing of good works" but changes the focus from self to Christ. Self can't do it perfectly, but Christ did.

But, saying all that - if anyone is still reading :D I do not believe that it is right or good to dishonor another person because of their religion. We should be able to agree to disagree peaceably!! Sharing your religion without becoming heated is ideal. Regardless of religion, people can always learn from another person. But, then that WOULD be utopia, here on earth, as some have already mentioned :lol2:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”