Are these things happening?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amy Baker
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-baker.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Are these things happening?

Post by Amy Baker »

What do you think? Is there a group in charge of taking care of these things? Maybe not to this degree, but something of the sort.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Are you saying are these supernatural things happening? Is there some kind of cult or council that actually exists? There are several cults or cult theories out there.
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

I think there are many "masterminds" out there controlling many things. From people right down to events... my theory anyway
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Amy Baker

Post by Amy Baker »

I guess I have just never let myself think about things like this. More of a head in the sand plan. It's totaly scare to me and makes me feel completely out of control.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Amy Baker wrote:More of a head in the sand plan. It's totaly scare to me and makes me feel completely out of control.
I feel this way when I start to wonder if there is an influential mastermind.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by jimthorne2 »

There is a mastermind but He is not human or demonic. He is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is laughable to think that a human coalition could control things in the spiritual world. I know there is a lot of fiction about mystics and such but it is just fiction.
Jim Thorne
Amy Baker

Post by Amy Baker »

Some would say God is laughable. I personally am on the fence. I'm actually envious of people of faith. I just don't have it.
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Faith is something everybody has but the issue is not whether or not you have faith but where is that faith directed.

-- 25 May 2017, 10:47 --

Amy, If you want to pursue the idea of faith more I suggest you look at https://www.udemy.com/the-question-of-a ... Mode=guest that will discuss the whole issue.
Jim Thorne
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

To the extent the book takes it, that would be a possible no. It's hard to think a group of people are out there trying to control what should be seen or even believed. Though this isn't impossible to do or even to be such a far fetched notion. Now before you think this is just some kind of conspiracy thinking type of stuff remember only 1% of the entire world population are billionaires. This doesn't include corporations, banks, governments and so forth.
Then there was the denial of the cult called "the Illuminati" and since its been confirmed to exist, now it's being made out to be just another club. No big deal.
So it's possible for the world media and most of the outlets to be controlled by such a group. They just can't control every single person. Yet.
:|
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

You show the influence by Ayan Rand on your thinking which is not surprising. I acknowledge the possibility of a group or groups of people involved in trying to influence world culture. I'm not convinced any group will succeed as they desire. I believe in a higher power in control of everything and although He is There and He is not Silent, He is personal, powerful, and good.
Jim Thorne
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

jimthorne2 wrote:You show the influence by Ayan Rand on your thinking which is not surprising. I acknowledge the possibility of a group or groups of people involved in trying to influence world culture. I'm not convinced any group will succeed as they desire. I believe in a higher power in control of everything and although He is There and He is not Silent, He is personal, powerful, and good.
Thank you for your response and correction. I realise I should have put a jk at the end of my last sentence about controlling people. Though it's probably something I shouldn't be joking about. I agree with your previous post about it being laughable for humans to think they can control the spiritual world (maybe this is why this kind of thinking only happens in a work of fiction) because there is only One who does and He is the Triune God.
Now as for Ayn Rand, I haven't gotten far enough into it to know about one group succeeding in controlling everyone. I hope you haven't given away a spoiler for me. :(
There are many influences in our world today and I merely wanted to acknowledge that this book brings some of it to light in the use of the council. That it's not so outlandish for there to be a clean up crew, or groups of people wanting to achieve world domination.
My belief is such that there is no one but God with the authority to control demons and history. The Bible gives many examples of people having no power over demons, but there is One who does, Jesus Christ. This is one of the reasons why so many people flocked to Him, because He had the authority to cast the demons out, and they had never encountered someone with that kind of authority before. So no worries, I do understand this is a work of fiction just like Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code". :D
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Well, we are writers and words are important to us. Ayn Rand doesn't really talk about a group but about power and I'll let you read more before you decide where that is going. You have some things to learn about her.
Jim Thorne
Oluwafemi Oni
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwafemi-oni.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Oluwafemi Oni »

Yes they are happening, maybe not all as stated but definitely they do. If one haven't had the opportunity to live in regions where they are actually experienced it is hard to believe. It's just like some people don't believe there are witches whereas some encounter them almost everyday of their lives.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

I have lived in one of those regions and experienced the terror of the drums of madzoka.
Jim Thorne
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I believe in these things, even though I haven't experienced them personally, maybe because I haven't lived in regions where their influence is more dominant. But yeah, I do believe (unfortunately).

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”