Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

Post by eelavahs-jay »

That's a question I was asking myself only two days ago. The hardest battles are fought by the strongest soldiers they say. Some even go as far as to say that when hardships come around it's because we're being tested by the Lord. But shouldn't it be the bad people who are tried instead of those who are least likely to forsake him? It all makes no sense to me. Bad things happen to good people because the world is an unfair place. To claim it's all God's doing is to imply that he's merciless towards his most loyal followers.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Bad things do seem to happen to good people but its the way life is. The only thing I can say is that as long as we are alive bad things will happen but when they do people should remember that there is a higher power we can all run to.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

We will never have a definitive reason why things happen. I have my doubts in whether we even have the ability to change our fates, if events are fixed and we only have so many paths that we can take. There is a lesson to be learned from all experiences, interactions, and everything happens for a reason. We just have to have faith that something meant for us or better will happen. People experience things that they are thought to be able to overcome, it may take time but it will work out.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

First of all, it would seem pertinent to define the term "bad". People will die at some point in their lives, regardless of the reasons. We are condemned to suffer until the end of our days, some more than others. As long as there are living beings aware of themselves, there will always be selfish beings. As long as there are selfish beings, there will be those who will suffer more than they should under normal circunstances. That's the way things are and there's not much to do when you think about it.

As for God, I don't think he really cares. And if he does, he should have made us less selfish and more capable of facing adversity. Now, if we do happen to believe in his divine plan, we must take this life as a test, our suffering a way to strengthen us and prepare us for life in the hereafter...
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

There are many reasons bad things happen to good people and God has different reasons for each. People have tried to explain God's intentions through philosophy but sometimes the reasons just stay a mystery.

An imperfect world has to have an impact on everyone. Good or bad.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It's like a moth. It makes it's cocoon and waits to grow in it. If it wants to get out, it must struggle. If it gets out earlier and it doesn't fight, it will be too weak to survive in the world. So I guess we all have to fight to be prepared for what it will happen to us, otherwise we will not be able to get over things later.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

I agree with the person who once said, "We have taken God out of our schools, out of our government, and out of our business. So how can we expect him to answer our every call." We have asked him to leave us alone and gentleman that he is, he is doing just that.
SEG
Lizzie3
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie3.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Lizzie3 »

Most of the time we tend to show God our backs, going our own ways and doing our own things that are in contrary to His Commands. For these reasons God always takes us through a lot of challenges and difficulties so that we can remember and turn back to Him. not that he doesnt care but He wants our attention drawn to Him.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Ghingir wrote: 31 May 2017, 19:27 I, too, have an issue with this. I have always wondered why God can't just stop really bad things happening to good people. Yes, we have free will and can cause bad things to happen to us by wrong actions and/or decisions, but that doesn't mean that God couldn't stop whatever bad things from happening in the end. He could teach us in a less threatening manner what it is we are to learn. I believe that is just an excuse by Christians to explain why God seems to not be there (sometimes). I have a feeling I'll be flamed for that last statement, but that is how I feel.

Death, on the other hand, even at a young age, I don't consider to be a bad thing if it happens to a good person. While the good person's friends and family will, of course, be hurt tremendously, it is a reward to the good person to be taken early to Heaven, and avoid whatever horrible tragedies may have befallen them in life. They will not need to suffer through what a lot of us already have, or will in the future. I believe that early exit through death is a gift from God to the truly good. So, if you're still here, you got some learning to do, Lucy! Including myself... My, I'll probably live forever, haha.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!
I agree! I do sometimes ask but it is also my way of communication with Him. I believe that he do not allow bad things happen to us. It may be bad for our point of view, but we need to reflect on why, what and how. What is the purpose why it happen and how to resolve or prevent it. Jumping onto conclusion will lead us into nothing and does will result on blaming or pointing fingers.

And as to death, it is not a bad thing. I rather see my father rest and not suffer for long. I've nursed him for 9 months and the feeling of not giving him ease? Makes my heart throb.

For me, its a matter of how you deal it in a very positive ways.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

God doesn't allow bad things to happen to good people. That is putting a religious theme on happenings in the man-made world. Every human being came here with a purpose. When so-called bad things happen to good people, I feel it's to grow and develop us as human beings. The individuals affected came here to teach us about life and love. That's why I don't buy into anyone "leaving before their time". They leave the gift of their love and light behind. So although it's crushingly sad and devastating, I truly feel that is their gift.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think that it is through trials that the Almighty draws the best out of people.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

That's a very good question and a difficult one to answer. I suppose it's to strengthen their faith.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

This is a question that I doubt anyone has an answer to it just requires faith and trust

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”