Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Re: Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Post by Lennycat »

I'm not sure that God is a man or a woman. God is God. There is no way of knowing for sure and everyone's interpretation is different. So maybe God is whatever it means to you personally.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

TobiOrNotTobi wrote:I mean, there are goddesses (female gods), but if you're talking about who Christians worship, that will most likely not be true. In the Bible, God is referred to as a "he," so there is no possibility of God (if that's who you were referring to) being a female.

I believe if God was a female, there would be a major difference on views on men and women. Just think if females were supposed to be the head of households, the rulers, the politicians, etc. before they had any kind of role in society.
That's so true! Society thinks of God as the sovereign power and would probably have a new mind set if there were female Gods. I hope society would be more broad minded with or without the help of the presence or belief of female Gods.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

TobiOrNotTobi wrote:I mean, there are goddesses (female gods), but if you're talking about who Christians worship, that will most likely not be true. In the Bible, God is referred to as a "he," so there is no possibility of God (if that's who you were referring to) being a female.

I believe if God was a female, there would be a major difference on views on men and women. Just think if females were supposed to be the head of households, the rulers, the politicians, etc. before they had any kind of role in society.

Hmm... I never really thought of the possibility but that would have a lot to do with me being Christian. I agree with you anyway. The views on men and women would be very different.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This is an interesting question. I do believe in God, but always thought of Him as male. However, the possibility of Him being a female is possible because we never really know. I guess my question would be - why was Adam created first if God is female? You would think that if God is a female, then She would create a woman first. Unless, that part is also switched around?

Then, our Savior, Jesus, is a male instead of a female... :eusa-think:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

Seriously? God can't be male or female. God is just God. Him being of a gender kinda ruins the whole point of being God, doesn't it?
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

FloraZeyd wrote:Seriously? God can't be male or female. God is just God. Him being of a gender kinda ruins the whole point of being God, doesn't it?
Such an innocent and serious thought!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

As male was created first i believe a female god would be less powerful compared to a male one.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

I know there are underworld goddesses but a female God, as in with a capital G, seriously that idea alone is just CRAZY!

-- 18 Jun 2017, 19:38 --

I totally agree with you. :? And I just repented. :roll:
Swara Sangeet wrote:
FloraZeyd wrote:Seriously? God can't be male or female. God is just God. Him being of a gender kinda ruins the whole point of being God, doesn't it?
Such an innocent and serious thought!
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Why not? Who says it has to be a 'he'? The church?
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It's an interesting concept. I remember this being discussed in a theology class and no one could really answer why God is always presented as a male. They did provide many arguments, but to be frank, they were far from plausible. In fact, it sounded as if the lecturer was trying to convince himself first. Why wouldn't it be a female? Why wouldn't it be something else? It doesn't even have to be like a human, which is even more fascinating.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

kislany wrote:Why not? Who says it has to be a 'he'? The church?
Such an innocent answer!

-- 21 Jun 2017, 21:04 --
IsabelMay wrote:It's an interesting concept. I remember this being discussed in a theology class and no one could really answer why God is always presented as a male. They did provide many arguments, but to be frank, they were far from plausible. In fact, it sounded as if the lecturer was trying to convince himself first. Why wouldn't it be a female? Why wouldn't it be something else? It doesn't even have to be like a human, which is even more fascinating.
True. Even I learnt in class once that God had no shape, no 'specified' structure but is rather omnipotent and omnipresent. I don't believe in God, but I don't think there's any harm in allowing a strong positive force in our midst!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

True, In most martriarchial societies in history there's always a significantly powerful goddess.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

juliusotinyo wrote:

True, In most martriarchial societies in history there's always a significantly powerful goddess.
That's an interesting fact! I'd like to read about these matriarchal societies.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Swara Sangeet wrote:
juliusotinyo wrote:

That's an interesting fact! I'd like to read about these matriarchal societies.
Quite a no in traditional African societies. Can't remember them all, but primarily west and east African bantu tribes
MURIIRA
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Escape</a>
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muriira.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MURIIRA »

rhiza021 wrote:I think that depends on one's religion and culture. In Roman and Greek mythology, there are female Gods. However, does God (Gods for others) have a gender in the first place? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I don't think it's really the same thing as for us humans and other animals.
I agree... However this is not my favorite topic.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”