What are your view on modern Religions?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Ghada TG
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghada-tg.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

What are your view on modern Religions?

Post by Ghada TG »

Through "Raven's Peak» read, one wonders is religions still relevant today? And if it is could all the religions and all the Gods have more commonalities than raging difference, that we would someday be able to compromise?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I've done some studies in the past on World Religions. There are often commonalities that many people tend to choose to overlook as they don't seem to want to find things in common with people of different religions. For example, most major religions have a creation story. The stories are similar to each other.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Ghada TG
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghada-tg.html

Post by Ghada TG »

Definitely!
The thing is, even the religions that seem so different and radical and those that might not be categorized as religions and the science of astrology and astronomy and the belief of atheists in the human nature. It all rounds back to the same core, that all of them believe in the existence of a higher power that runs the universe and drives us from within, some call it God, other calls it karma, or the holy spirit , or the will of man or the law of attraction. What’s not obviously or willingly admitted; is that all of these concepts are the mere reflection of faith in something bigger than ourselves, something that resides within us and is intellectually and spiritually undeniable to us, that we all tend to look for an explanation to make sense of. The difference in our perception creates the diversity in our illustrations and manifestations of it.
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

there might be similarities with most religions but the differences are what's important. people worship in different ways and making compromises ehen it comes to worship is not an easy thing and doesn't really make sense to me. Converting to another religion maybe?
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

It is complicated question. I don't think that I will be able to answer it.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

I see religion as a tool that is used to herd and control people. If it's done for peace and overall wellbeing of community it doesn't bother me very much. If it's something that is used towards self-gain and feeling of superiority then it should be stopped.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I find religion outdated and dangerous at this point. It started as something to explain what we couldn't know and to teach people to be decent and cope with loss. We've advanced scientifically enough for the religious explanations of everything to be almost irrelevant and are no longer using religion to cope and be kind to each other. It's now been distorted to be about control and taking single lines out of context to justify extreme cruelty and murder. Religion needs to disappear so humanity can get back to what religion was invented for in the first place, as contradictory as that seems.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

CatInTheHat wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 13:59 I've done some studies in the past on World Religions. There are often commonalities that many people tend to choose to overlook as they don't seem to want to find things in common with people of different religions. For example, most major religions have a creation story. The stories are similar to each other.
Other commonalities are the issues that they deal with: death, good and evil, human relationships, poverty and wealth, and of course God.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 13:59 I've done some studies in the past on World Religions. There are often commonalities that many people tend to choose to overlook as they don't seem to want to find things in common with people of different religions. For example, most major religions have a creation story. The stories are similar to each other.
I love the study of world religions. I am always amazed at how many commonalities there are. To me, this is proof of eternal truth.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

Every religious person wants to be right and believe that they have to fight for that right. They have all forgotten that there is only one God regardless of what name you ascribe to this being. Why is it necessary to prove or impose your beliefs on anyone? Accept that each is different and unique. If live and let live was the credo, there would be no war. That is all that is required.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

Unitarian Universalism is a more modern religion that is inspired by the tenants of several religions. It focuses on the fact that none of these religions are "wrong" or "right", but all have lessons that can be sources of inspiration and insight. I think that kind of religion is really cool. Reconciling our differences to acknowledge that everyone is seeking the same enlightenment is a great idea.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Most religions are similar. They all seem to have the same basic elements. I am no professional of course, but those are my thoughts.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think that the attitude of every true believer is that there is only one God, and that people from different religions worship him in different ways.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

Religion is such an overused and misunderstood word. I think that everyone’s belief system has relevance for them. While I may have a belief system that I know is right and I won’t compromise, you may have a totally different one. To answer your question, no,I don’t think it’s possible.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

The religious way of the modern society are not as grounded as they used to be

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”