Personal Rating

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Personal Rating

Post by Amagine »

After reading the book, what is you personal opinion and rating of the story?

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars because though I loved the plot, I didn't like the illustrations too much or the fact the illustrations were separate from the text.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I also give it 3 out of 4 stars. The story has a good lesson to teach, but the illustrations did not draw me in, and the whole story lacked cohesiveness. It just did not flow well for me.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I also give it 3 out of 4 stars. The story itself is a good story and it teaches a good lesson, but I agree that the illustrations could have been a little bit better. Plus the illustrations are just on one side and I like it when the illustrations cover both sides.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I actually gave the book a 4 out of 4 stars. Being the odd one out, I loved the illustrations. :) I think it will draw the younger children in very well because of how fun and cute they look. Anyway, I loved the message and thought the story was done very well.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I teach at a preschool, and I have to admit that I'm not sure how well this book would go over with my kids. They would probably have more fun just repeating the animals' names over and over again, rather than actually sitting and listening to the story as a whole. Maybe 3 out of 4 stars?
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

e-tasana-williams wrote:I also give it 3 out of 4 stars. The story has a good lesson to teach, but the illustrations did not draw me in, and the whole story lacked cohesiveness. It just did not flow well for me.
I feel the same way. I think if it is to be a book I would want to read to children, it should flow better, and the illustrations should be improved. 3 out of 4 stars.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

i give 4 out of 4 stars to this book because it taught so many lessons and dealing with children whose hearts are still tender,its a really nice book to help mold them into nice caring ,loving and friendly children.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

katiesquilts wrote:I teach at a preschool, and I have to admit that I'm not sure how well this book would go over with my kids. They would probably have more fun just repeating the animals' names over and over again, rather than actually sitting and listening to the story as a whole. Maybe 3 out of 4 stars?
This is an interesting thought. I used to work at a daycare/preschool. Definitely most of the three-year-olds and younger would not care for this story very much. But, I remember having a number of four-year-olds and a couple of five-year-olds (who didn't make the Kindergarten cut the previous year), who enjoyed the lengthier, more in-depth stories. They liked have some book discussions, not lengthy book discussions, but some. In general, I feel they might have enjoyed this story - as long as there was an activity that came afterward.

I guess it all depends on the children themselves. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

hsimone wrote:
katiesquilts wrote:I teach at a preschool, and I have to admit that I'm not sure how well this book would go over with my kids. They would probably have more fun just repeating the animals' names over and over again, rather than actually sitting and listening to the story as a whole. Maybe 3 out of 4 stars?
This is an interesting thought. I used to work at a daycare/preschool. Definitely most of the three-year-olds and younger would not care for this story very much. But, I remember having a number of four-year-olds and a couple of five-year-olds (who didn't make the Kindergarten cut the previous year), who enjoyed the lengthier, more in-depth stories. They liked have some book discussions, not lengthy book discussions, but some. In general, I feel they might have enjoyed this story - as long as there was an activity that came afterward.

This is true... It all depends on the kids and the way they empathize with the characters! I also think that reading the book one-on-one and reading it out to a group would have a difference on its impact.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

katiesquilts wrote:
hsimone wrote:

This is true... It all depends on the kids and the way they empathize with the characters! I also think that reading the book one-on-one and reading it out to a group would have a difference on its impact.
This is also very true. As I'm thinking about it, that particular group I'm thinking about were more on the mature side versus some other preschoolers. Definitely empathizing with the characters is key here, otherwise children may not enjoy or even understand it as much.

I also agree that reading it one-on-one would have a different impact than reading it to a group. And depending on the class and its students, either one could be better or worse! A one-on-one could easily have the child more engaged and have deeper discussions, while reading it to a group, students can bounce ideas from one another and sometimes be a model for others.

All this classroom talk is making miss my kiddos!
Heidi

Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The book brings new lessons to children. It has some grammatical errors but this can be fixed by an editor. I rate it 3 over 4 stars.

-- 13 May 2017, 21:31 --
hsimone wrote:I actually gave the book a 4 out of 4 stars. Being the odd one out, I loved the illustrations. :) I think it will draw the younger children in very well because of how fun and cute they look. Anyway, I loved the message and thought the story was done very well.
This book has a special touch to kids. It also deserves 4 out of 4 stars because of the lessons it gives to children. The issue on the not so good illustration is not really that big because we can consider it the art of abstract.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think one of the biggest issues I had with the illustrations was the coloring. There were times that the animals were weird colors. I believe the cover of the book, I thought the color was a little off.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero »

Amagine wrote:After reading the book, what is you personal opinion and rating of the story?

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars because though I loved the plot, I didn't like the illustrations too much or the fact the illustrations were separate from the text.
I agree with you about the illustration part. I too didn't like them and because of that i would give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
Eman Frasy
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eman-frasy.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Eman Frasy »

I give it 3 out of four, but to be very honest, I loved the plot.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I'd give it a 4 out of 4 stars
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”