Have People Affected Your Actions or Opinions?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Have People Affected Your Actions or Opinions?

Post by Amagine »

The only time people have affected my actions was mostly at school when I was younger. I would be so shy that I wouldn't perform in front of others or even like speaking in front of others. I was too afraid of what people would think or say about me.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I have never been too afraid to be who I am. People have affected my actions, because my dad taught me to be myself. "The people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind." My dad has drilled this ideal into my head, so now other people's opinions don't affect me too much.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

csimmons032 wrote:The only thing I can think of at the moment is that I have often not said something that I should have because I felt that it wouldn't have been received well. I hate it when I get in situations where I feel like I should have said something and I didn't. I have been trying to work on speaking my mind more often, but doing it in the most respectful way that i can. Unfortunately we can't avoid disagreements, but we shouldn't be afraid to tell people how we feel, and that's what I have been trying to work on.
I can relate. For me, it is always easier to say positive things because of the good reception expected. But there are times when the right thing to do is to speak one's mind even if it will lead to disagreements, especially when other people are put down and taken advantaged of. This takes courage though especially in this era of making instant enemies on the various social sites.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Always. Everytime I make a decision, I consider the people around me. I try to answer my guide questions like, will they be happy with my decisions, will they benefit, will I not hurt their feelings, and many more, depends on the decision that I need to make.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I regret simply that I am not able to be myself more. I regret that I let others' opinions matter more than they should.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

hmmm, definitely.. and even though it was more pronounced in childhood, it is still something I would say affects me now. There is always that feeling of wanting to be 'accepted' or 'doing the right thing'. But on the other hand, there is the even stronger feeling of I need to do what's best for me otherwise I will have regrets.
brookelyon
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by brookelyon »

I face this battle all the time because I am a natural people-pleaser but also like to consider myself to be an independent thinker. I think relationships are such an important part of my life, so I guess I justify making decisions based on others through that means. I wouldn't say I'm "afraid" of what people will say or think, but I do take other people into consideration when I make decisions, especially if the relationship we have is very important to me.
Donnavila Marie01

CarrieMe wrote:I don't truly regret anything, but I do wish that I'd spent a lot less of my life worrying about what other people thought about me. It's just not worth it. (And the truth is, other people don't think about you nearly as much as you worry they do.)
I agree to this. We worry so much about the people we care. We sometimes restrict our own selves to do the things we love, for the sake of others. The people you are concerned about, are the same people who will put you down.
Velaush
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66249">War Music Homer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-velaush.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00891HZFK

Post by Velaush »

I'd love to say absolutely not but sometimes, we do need to take into consideration other people's opinions about some things because sometimes we might not be thinking clearly or objectively. That is not to say that I'll always assume other people's viewpoint, I'll always be free to be who I am.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Donnavila Marie01

Sometimes, it is a good sign if we allow our decisions to be affected by the people around us. It only means that we recognize our union with our community. We are a part of the community, therefore, we have to consider the people around us in our decisions.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Jessa Ringcodan wrote:I'd love to say absolutely not but sometimes, we do need to take into consideration other people's opinions about some things because sometimes we might not be thinking clearly or objectively. That is not to say that I'll always assume other people's viewpoint, I'll always be free to be who I am.
I love that you don't let other people info influence you too much. It's sad whenever I come across someone who does.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

There are many things I didn't do out of fear of people's opinion which I so much regret because the results adversely afffected my life. However, the bad experiences built me to the strong person I am today, I now pursue what I want without fear or worry about what people might think or say.
Marika Tabone
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-tabone.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Marika Tabone »

I generally say what I think. At times I might be too direct and I might come across too aggressive. However, this only happens when I am passionate about the topic being discussed. On other occassions, when I feel indifferent about the topic, I prefer not to voice my opinion. I don't like to upset people, so if it is not a topic I am passionate about I prefer not to take a position.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

When I was young it was my parents. I didn't know that I disagreed with a lot of their opinions at the time. Then I moved out. I feel much better.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

I have never really cared about what people say. They are going to judge anyway, whether you are right or wrong, they'll still pass judgement

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”