Differences?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Re: Differences?

Post by ifeoma obike »

Mine are a mix, some are more like me and some are quite different. When I was much younger I only accomodate people of my kind, but after studying psychology at college, I understand people much better and I love being in the company of people with different interests and personalities; I learn a lot from them. I don't judge people on their differences, I try to know them better although sometimes I try changing certain things about them that I really dislike.
Barbara jepchirchir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Barbara jepchirchir »

I think everyone has that kind of friend who are either very different or very diverse and at the end of the day they sit down and agree on one opinion. I am a victim of that difference. In the book, the author is emphasising on the relation,adoption and acceptance of changes that is different from the normal.
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

I keep a very small circle with only a few friends, the rest I view as acquintances. My friends are a lot like me, however I dont judge people by their dofferences. My best friend was a completely different wild spirit when we met years ago. I never judged, yet loved her enough to make her see that change is okay...
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Amagine wrote:My friends tend to be the same as me when it comes to interests and things we like to do. I don't judge someone for being physically different than me. I have judged people in the past who didn't share my common interests but I no longer do that.
I am in the same boat with Amagine.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

My friends are more like me. Birds of a feather, I guess. I don't really chose who to befriend. We just automatically gravitate to be people similar to us, who we feel understands us.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Eoui
Favorite Author: Timothy Zahn
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eoui.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 9892

Post by Eoui »

For me it's finding a common ground, even if it's just one thing we fully agree on. My closest friends share many of the same views and concerns I do, which I think helps to foster conversation and getting together for events. It's nice to keep an open mind though and have people in your life who make you think and challenge your views. Too often we're afraid to be wrong or too stubborn to admit it, it's great and healthy to find a friendship where you can openly discuss where you don't see eye to eye and still respect each other. I have few of those sorts of friends, I think more often we come together based on similarities, that's how we find people.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

My friends are a lot like me but I tend to see things very differently from them. But then, I see things very differently than most people, so that's okay. I try not to judge people based on their differences or how they are similar to other persons because I see myself as very different from most people, especially when it comes to forming opinions.
myprecious
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myprecious.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by myprecious »

I think that reading books is the best way to learn that we can live and work in spite of many differences around us we just have to be open to it. ???
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

My friends are similar to me. I have acquaintances that I get along with that are different then me. I think we are predisposed to judge. how much we judge I think is environmental. we will judge someone if we have had a bad experience with someone similar to the person in question. we automatically judge while we are dating deciding whether the person is right for us or not.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Most times for people to get along their basic values have to be similar if not the same, it creates a platform for ease of understanding and communication. Yeah, I mean things like language, education, but I believe there are stronger foundations that will foster great relationships than language or family background. When we are 'basically' the same, differences are little things. Just like it's ultimately easier to relate with any other human (well... most) than other species. For instance, I can boldly say all of us are human on this forum, we are basically the same, yet we might have extremely contrasting opinions.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I don't have that many friends but the ones that I have are similar to me only in interests. We are of different races, ethnicities, backgrounds, countries and sex (in one case) But yes when I'm at University and need to ask for directions and stuff I tend to feel more comfortable approaching people who...look like me for precautionary reasons. I've been subjected to many taunts after asking people for directions (or just by bringing attention to myself). What's sad is that I live in a country where I am in the majority. However colorism is rampant and things can get nasty.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

My friends are quite different from each other when you view their overall choices and patterns but I think I’m a mixture of all their traits or vice versa so i know who is who when I’m different.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

I think is better to make and be friends with people you have similar goals and activities with. You and your friends can be very relatable and communication is not a problem.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”