How important is diversity in children's books?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

How important is diversity in children's books?

Post by Amagine »

In Farmer Beau's Farm we see a few diverse characters. We see a cat, a bunny, a giraffe and humans. We also see that no matter how diverse they all are from one another, they still become friends.

In children's books, how important is it to have diverse characters? Why is it so important? If not, why do you think it's not important?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think it's 100% important for children's books to include diversity. In order for children to learn acceptance of different people, no matter how they look, they need exposure and conversations. Since it may not always be appropriate to have conversations why people are different and why we must accept their differences in public (you might be overheard and that's just awkward!), then the next best thing is books!

What would make this series even better if the author included a character/animal that had a disability since many children lack exposure to special needs.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

I think by reading diversity it is embedded into their humanity. It is essential.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Diversity in not only children's books, but in every book or show or movie made for any age, is extremely important. I don't think there is such a thing as too much diversity. If children are shown this diversity from a young age, they will grow up to be more open and accepting of people who are different from them. I know far too many people who were raised in their tiny little bubble of like-minded people who look like them, and I've seen them treat individuals who are different like scum. It's 2017. I feel like we should be doing better than we are, but if children keep getting exposed to books such as this one, filled with diversity and acceptance, then there is hope that society will grow to be more diverse and accepting of that diversity.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I think children's books with a diverse cast of characters are important since acceptance is something that we ought to instil in communities when their members are still young. I believe children enjoy variety very much - the children's books I read after 1994 had such variety, and above all, humanity.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I was reading an article about this just the other day! Not sure if I can link to it, but here's trying:
motherjones.com/media/2016/08/diversity ... ry-twitter

Quote from the article:
"Cooperative Children's Book Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison looked at 3,200 children's books published in the United States last year, it found that only 14 percent had black, Latino, Asian, or Native American main characters. Meanwhile, industry data collected by publisher Lee & Low and others suggest that roughly 80 percent of the children's book world—authors and illustrators, editors, execs, marketers, and reviewers—is white"

And of course, this is only talking about racial diversity, not any of the other kinds. That said, hopefully with awareness now being drawn to the issue, we will start to see a steady increase in minority representation. I was really happy to hear that there is now an autistic character on Sesame Street, for example!
Steffi30
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steffi30.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Steffi30 »

I believe it's very important because you meet all different kinds of people out in the world. At the end of the day, most of us are more alike than different and even those of us with different opinions can still be friends if we're willing to listen before we make a snap judgment about someone or something that they do. Or as the saying goes, don't judge me if you haven't walked in my shoes.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I agree with what everyone else has said- diversity, especially in children's books, is incredibly important. And although Farmer Beau's Farm has a great message about accepting each others' differences, I wouldn't necessarily consider the book itself very diverse. Allegories using animals to stand in for human problems are great and can often make touchy issues more fun and/or palatable. But, in the end, what's really important is that kids from underrepresented groups also have lots of opportunities to see THEMSELVES in the media they consume. (Not just themselves as animals or whatever.) It can have a huge impact on your sense of self worth if you never (or hardly ever) see anyone like you in the books you read or the shows you watch. And, like other people mentioned, diversity in books has the added benefit of exposing others to different perspectives and lifestyles. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think it is very important so as to teach children at an early age that we are not all the same. This is why movies and books like Zootopia are so awesome!
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

it is important to have different characters in children's books so that children can have a view of the different world we have
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Diversity is extremely important in children's books because we live in a diverse world with children from many diverse backgrounds. It is important for children to see a representation of themselves in a book. It's also just as important for children to be exposed to other races and cultures.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I think I'm on the same page as everyone else, diversity in children's books is important. Children are so open to anything that comes their way, that it is good to show them the variety of life in our world.
peace starts with a smile...
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Even though I asked about diversity in regards to children's books, the truth is that diversity is important in all books. It's important for fictional characters to be more representative to the world we currently life in.

Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

Diversity is extremely important in children's books. Children learn and develop as they read or are read to. As a parent and former educator, I think it's imperative to surround children with quality literature.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I'm glad that a lot of people think of diversity as important. I'm also glad that a lot of publishers and companies are putting out books with more diverse characters.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”