Computer Stories

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Computer Stories

Post by Manang Muyang »

Mailis wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 04:13 Oh the dial-up tune is forever ingrained on my brain. You just had to sit there for 15 minutes twiddling your thumbs and praying to internet gods that connection was finally established. It usually was slower that dead snail and you downloaded one picture again for 15 minutes or more and well if you wanted to print one out, it was guaranteed cruel entertainment for at least an hour.
Yes, those were fun times! Millennials will call us Jurassic, lol.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I was a kid right when home computers were becoming commonplace. In a Where in Time is Carmen San Diego computer game I had, a case involving launching one of the first ships into space had me organizing cards in the proper order. It was just a game, and there were no consequences. Still, I felt the pressure and am glad I never had to opperate a computer that way.

Now, much of my work requires the use of a computer, but I make it a point to get away from the screen for a bit every day.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I remember as a child having an old dinosaur that ran off of MS-DOS software. The screen was black, the letters lit up across the screen as a block cursor flashed your position. It had a King-Kong game that you played with the arrow buttons on the keyboard. I remember the only thing to do was typing or play that game. I am sure adults, at the time, could have done more... It had an old printer with reams connected by perforations, and holed edges on each side.

Later we upgrade, had Windows 3.0 and AOL Online after awhile... now look at where we are... can't even really say we are going "off-line"... :)
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

At first, computers for me are overwhelming to use. Especially when exploring in the internet, it's hard to know which way to go. But because of years of experience, it became an easy hobby surfing the internet.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

I remember when we first got computers at work. What a big change. Change was good until the computer went down and then you had to go back to the old, long way
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

EMoffat wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 19:55 I remember our computer internet being shared with the phone line. We were only allowed to use it at specific times and got kicked off when someone rang the house (which was a lot more often because there was no mobile phones).
We didn't get the internet until I was in high school. I do remember that a friend of mine had dial-up internet when I was 10. I'm just glad that things have advanced so much.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I did not get to see/use a computer until I got to high school. The journey of learning about them and using them was fun. I bought my first computer while at the University and it was the most helpful thing I had back then. However, I have decided never to get addicted to using computers especially social media sites such as Facebook. I love everything else that computers offer.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Computers weren't really the focus on my house when I was growing up. Personally, I got more attached to cell phones during the teenage years.

When I first learned to type, however, we had to bring a pair of boxers to typing class. Boxers, yes, as in underwear. We put the boxes on top of the keyboards and put our hands through the legs. This is how we learned how to type. It was fun!
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

When I was in kindergarten there was this huge computer, took up a desk, and we all wanted a chance to play these little games on it. I can't even remember what we played at the time. That was my first time using a computer. In elementary school, computers were few and far between. I hit junior high and we had the DOS system. I remember when I was in highschool, I did community service back at my old elementary school. The kids had a computer lab then. And now my son goes to the same elementary school I once went to and they all get equipped with their own laptops to work on in their own classrooms. I know other schools have ipads and different electronics. Kids spend more and more time on them and less time interacting with other kids.
Mac :techie-reference:
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

When I was younger I used to watch my cousin completely break apart computers and rebuild them with his own modifications. I got really into the idea and when we were learning programming in high school I caught on pretty quickly to it. I'm still interested in it but switched my interest to more of robotics than software engineering.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I'm learning computer programming right now. The concepts themselves from the user perspective isn't too hard to learn, but the building side is a real pain to learn.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

The use of technology has really been of help. And it has really made it easier for everyone.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”