Secrets?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Secrets?

Post by kfwilson6 »

I would probably only tell my husband (we don't have any children). It depends on what type of ability and whether or not it would be coveted by others. With any "superhuman" type of ability, there will always be those out there who want to use the ability for their own gain/benefit. This could easily put someone with a rare talent in harm's way. I have noticed that people are not good at keeping secrets, even if it is their intention. I would keep it to myself for the most part to protect myself and my family and friends. We saw what happened to Alex's date as a result of his actions.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I would keep quiet to avoid all the negatives that come with having a superpower. And in order to spare my family the mixed emotions that come with it.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I would most definitely have to tell someone, but therein lies the question, who would believe you. You would have to be very careful and I do not think your first-love would be a good person to confide in.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I would confide in a few people perhaps, but I would not go around telling everyone! That would be dangerous and annoying having too many people knowing and expecting you to do things.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

jemgirl202 wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 23:57 Oh man, my husband would be so excited if I had a superpower. I do not keep secrets from him...except for where the cookies are hidden ;)

I probably wouldn't tell my parents though, they have a tendency to over react to large events or surprises!
I love your honesty and attitude. Unlike you, my parents would really like it if I had some superpower. I would absolutely let them know about it.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Jaime Lync wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 20:08 In Superhighway, Alex has to struggle between telling his girlfriend that he has a superpower or keeping her in the dark. If you woke up with an awesome superpower that you could keep secret, would you tell your love ones? Why or why not?
I don't think I would tell anyone. Too often, people fear what they don't understand. Plus I'd be afraid that my loved ones would be subjected to something awful.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I think once I realized it was legitimate I would tell my husband.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

If I suddenly woke up with this ability or an ability like it, I would tell both my significant other and my best friend. I would not, however, tell everyone, especially if it might put me in danger at some point. I would do whatever I needed to do to keep myself and my loved ones safe, yes, but I don't think the way to do that would be to keep them in the dark. Not knowing about an issue does not make it less of an issue.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

If it would put them at risk for knowing, I wouldn't tell my loved ones. If there was no risk to them, I would want to share with a select few. I wouldn't want everyone to know what I could do as some would want to use me for their benefit.
Mac :techie-reference:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Jaime Lync wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 20:08 In Superhighway, Alex has to struggle between telling his girlfriend that he has a superpower or keeping her in the dark. If you woke up with an awesome superpower that you could keep secret, would you tell your love ones? Why or why not?
I know being a teenager, Alex wouldn't think this deeply about it, but where she's only a girlfriend, I don't see why he should tell her. It's too likely (in real life at least) that they're going to break up. When they do, that secret is something she has to hold over him, especially if he confessed to her about stealing billions of dollars. It's something he shouldn't even consider divulging until they're more serious about the relationship.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

With a secret as huge as this, I don't think it is something that can just stay hidden. The truth will come out eventually.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I have a lot of relatives. I wouldn't want to burden everyone with the secret yet at the same time hurt them by not telling them (if it did come out). I would probably tell my little sister. She's obsessed with the idea of superpowers and it'd make her dreams come true if she knew I had powers. She'd also take my secret to the grave, so there's that too.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I would tell only my immediate loved ones, and even then the ones who can keep a secret. Secrets are heavy, though, so I also wouldn't burden anyone with it who I feel couldn't handle it.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

If I possessed any superpower, I would keep it a secret. It's more interesting that way.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I really wished I had one, I will not tell my parent they are tends to over react. I will keep it to myself.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”