Phillantropist?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Phillantropist?

Post by Jaime Lync »

So, our main character, Alex Fine, becomes a billionaire overnight and decides to become a philanthropist. I try to be generous to those who are not as well off as I am but I know it is a struggle to give sometimes and I rather not give if it is not from a place of willingness. Money is hard to part with, especially when it is hard earned. Do you think that you can become a philanthropist if you came into a large sum of money?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Yes. For me I think the struggle would be more about where to give it, and wanting to make sure it got where I wanted it to.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I totally get you. Many times I've wanted to give to a cause advertised on TV or online and I'm paranoid my money isn't going to get to the ones who need it.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Jaime Lync wrote:Many times I've wanted to give to a cause advertised on TV or online and I'm paranoid my money isn't going to get to the ones who need it.
I know what you mean. Nowadays you read about so many "charities" were maybe some pennies actually go to people in need. The fact is, unless you're giving it directly to someone in need, you have no idea where your money is going.

As to the question, I guess if you had a big enough sum you could set up your own charity, non-profit, or something, and make sure you really are helping someone.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think everyone would say that they would be a philanthropist if they were rich. It's easy to say but not easy to do. I hope that I would be willing to give to others less fortunate. I don't think you can really know until you are there, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

If I had a lot of money, I would either start my own charity or create an environment for those less fortunate. At least that way, I know exactly where my money is going and how it is being used.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I can become a phillantropist. Considering the case of Alex, his money is not hard earned. Money that is earned in the spur of the moment can be easily shared.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I can definitely see myself as a philanthropist because I like to give to others. It just makes me feel really good to do a nice deed for someone.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Jaime Lync wrote:I totally get you. Many times I've wanted to give to a cause advertised on TV or online and I'm paranoid my money isn't going to get to the ones who need it.
I agree. There are fake movements who take advantage of others' sorrow and others' generosity. In the end, the money does not reach the needy, it goes to the pockets of these fake movements.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Yes, the moment I have more money than I know what to do with, I would share it first with those closest to me, then give some to charities. Though, as some have pointed out in earlier posts, some charities pocket more of the donations than they use to help those they're supposed to support. I'd give a generous donation, but I'd also go to the place often to see if the money is applied where it's needed.
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I would take ten percent of it, and then give it to a church or a missionary. Afterwards I would use the money and pay whatever debts my family had, as well as for the tuition and fees for both my brother and I's undergraduate and graduate school. Afterwards, I would just give the money away to AIDs and cancer research, as well as any investments I plan on making for my younger nephew. I won't save much for anything else, since I remember the saying, "Take what you need, but never from greed."
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

A true philanthropist (in my opinion) is not just someone who gives a sum of money, but rather one who makes sure that the money would be put into good and efficient use. Simply giving the money to church or some non-profit organization, when those money would eventually end up in some rich people's pockets, is like burning money; you'd still feel good by giving away money even though it didn't help much.

Of course, this isn't meant to offend those who give to some noble cause (even to church and non-profits). I totally respect those who do give.
-rk
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

If I had more money than I needed to provide for my family, I would love to help others. I worry that some of the charities and organizations may not actually get my money to those who need it. I might start my own charity and make sure the money is distributed properly.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Yes, I would definitely want to contribute some of my money to those less fortunate than me, regardless of religion, caste, creed and nationality. However, for me, the main issue would be ensuring the people meant to get the money actually get it.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Yes, I would love to be generous. However, to be generous, we don't need a lot of money. Little deeds of kindness, tender words of care, a smile and just a helping hand, that may not be a big deal for us, can bring happiness or at least a little comfort in someone's life. As for as money is concerned, spending it to bring happiness in others lives is a means of bringing satisfaction in our lives. How can one be happy? if people around them are suffering and they know that they can get others out of their afflictions by just spending some money.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”