How much science with your fiction?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

How much science with your fiction?

Post by Jaime Lync »

In Superhighway, Alex is able to travel through cyberspace as a result of an inherited genetic mutation. In my opinion, the author does a great job describing the science behind the fictional power of 'electoportation'. However, I have read many sci-fi books that present awesome powers, namely time-travel, and simply gloss over the science by saying that it would be too complicated to understand or some other deterrent to having to give scientific explanations.
Are you interested in learning science while reading sci-fi?
Do you know any books that give really detailed science explanations to support the fiction?
Are you turned off by sci-fi that does not try to explain the science behind the story? (I know I am )
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think part of science fiction is that some things are so advanced (or impossible in our world) that there is no science behind it. So, I am not turned off at not learning exactly how it's done. Most of that goes over my head anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I'm ok either way. If, for example, the book proposes a theory of how time travel would be possible, then I appreciate trying to understand the author's take on it. If it is just a plot device, then I would rate the book on the story that develops from it rather than the time travel theory itself.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I love real science in my sci-fi!
Want it. Need it. Breath it!
I actually follow a blog for this very reason, and am always looking for books that fit this criteria.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Because sci-fi is not my top genre of choice I tend to prefer it be very "realistic" and based in solid science that at least make it sound plausible.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I would definitely prefer to read a good amount of science knowledge even though it is still fiction. I appreciate when novels are well researched. It is like historical fiction. Even though it is fiction, I do appreciate that someone put in the time to research and study what they are writing about.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I hated science as a child and I'm definitely not a fan of it now. I prefer very little science in my fiction. I know that there will always be some. After all, science is an important aspect of human life. It helps us learn about human life and the earth. In spite of that, I'm still not a science fan.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I am turned off with sci-fi stories which do not really explain the causes and effects of things they're presenting. I believe that sci-fi writters must also research well to support their theme.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

To be honest, it would probably be a little helpful to know how its possible, even if its not possible in real life. I am not a huge science fiction fan, so the description really has to stick out to me for me to pick one up.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Donnavila Marie01

Maybe, some science-fiction stories without detailed narration or explanation are intentionally left by the authors or directors that way because they want the readers or watchers to patch the missing areas.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Maybe, some science-fiction stories without detailed narration or explanation are intentionally left by the authors or directors that way because they want the readers or watchers to patch the missing areas.
This makes a lot of sense. I think that some authors have that in mind when writing but I also think we sometimes accredit a lot of praise to writers when they do something really amazing without having put much thought into it like that.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Jaime Lync wrote:In Superhighway, Alex is able to travel through cyberspace as a result of an inherited genetic mutation. In my opinion, the author does a great job describing the science behind the fictional power of 'electoportation'. However, I have read many sci-fi books that present awesome powers, namely time-travel, and simply gloss over the science by saying that it would be too complicated to understand or some other deterrent to having to give scientific explanations.
Are you interested in learning science while reading sci-fi?
Do you know any books that give really detailed science explanations to support the fiction?
Are you turned off by sci-fi that does not try to explain the science behind the story? (I know I am )
I liked how the author described/explained the science behind Alex's power.

As a writer, I understand why authors gloss over the science sometimes: it may not be the point of the story they want to focus on, they may not have ironed out that part yet, or they may not want to lock themselves in to an explanation that may either be wrong or changed in future books. It may seem lazy, but sometimes the explanation is not where the story is.

As a reader, I like science fiction, but I like my sci-fi to be heavier on the story rather than the science. That is not to say I don't enjoy learning while reading, but sometimes if the book has too much science explanation I skim over it.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

I totally understand what you mean Christina, I think I just want enough science in the book to help me understand how key theories came about in the story. It doesn't even have to be correct but I prefer an effort be done instead of the author saying that I won't be able to understand the science so he skips explaining.
Donnavila Marie01

I don't like the heavy ones. I hate watching blood dripping or scattered all over and lifeless bodies in a laboratory, but I like stories of aliens saving the earth from destruction.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

I like when the science is included to an extent. I don't like extensive explanations with terminology that I can't understand. I just want the fiction to make a little bit of sense. A brief but helpful answer as to how things work in the book is all I need.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”