How much science with your fiction?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: How much science with your fiction?

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I started reading Island of the Gods and the author lost me as soon as he started talking about an elaborate information system that the main character had cracked. If you're going to invent something explain it using terminologies familiar to the masses first. I'm all for science in fiction but when it's not over the top. I love biotechnology (I wanted to be a gene therapist) but I know not to carelessly drop words/phrases like "electrophoresis" or "reverse transcriptase poltymerase chain reaction" when explaining how a creature was created in a lab. It's a huge turn off when a novel becomes a college textbook.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I love it when there is a scientific explanation as I don't believe that things simply happen. there must be a reason but we don't see it right away or maybe not at all. so if the author reveals the reason, possibly with making us curious and intrigued about the reason, that would be great.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I like it when there is some real science in the story, otherwise it just goes over my head.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

The science fiction book called 'Heaven and Earth ' has a section of facts to educate the reader on some scientific aspects that are in the book theme.
The role of fiction books is and has always been to open our imaginations.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I think sometimes too much science thrown in distracts from the story and emotional aspect of it and feels like you are being given a lecture about something that just tires you out.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This question reminds me of how I felt when I first read Frankenstein. I had such a want to read more scientific method but just got electric eels and one day the monster was alive. Science helps stories so much. I find when reading books featuring careers or methods I don't know about, it helps learning something about it. This is especially helpful with medical or investigation driven stories.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 09:49 Because sci-fi is not my top genre of choice I tend to prefer it be very "realistic" and based in solid science that at least make it sound plausible.
I agree.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I think there needs to be an equal balance between science and fiction. Too much both will completely ruin the story.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I'm not turned off necessarily by books that gloss over the explanation for the science, but it's always nice when there is an explanation. That was one thing I really liked about Superhighway--the very scientific, but still easily understood, science behind the power. Another example that comes to mind is A Wrinkle in Time. L'Engle presented a very advanced physics concept in a children's book and explained it in such a way that I understood it when I first read the book as a kid. That is the mark of truly well-done science in scifi for me. I'm not scientificly minded, so if I need a technical manual to understand my fiction, odds are good I'll pick up a different book.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I do believe that an over-explanation of science can sometimes make the story difficult to follow, but I think the science is interesting to better understand how the powers work.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I do love the scientific explanations (even though some are so far-fetched). One of my major gripes with the very popular Star Trek series is actually related to this. Sound? In space? Which we all learned is a vacuum and thus logically incapable of transmitting sound waves? I mostly just laugh in incredulity - especially since no reason was actually given but it doesn't really affect how I view the story or necessarily irk me.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I am interested in the science - a healthy dose of it fact. That's the whole point of me reading science fiction. If an author skips over that part, either they themselves don't understand what they're trying to portray, or they just slap-dashed the book. I don't like when it gets too technical because it takes away from the fiction side of it, but I would like to get the more than just the gist of what's going on so I know what's different about whatever story I'm reading.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I absolutely love it when there's enough of an explanation for me to understand how it works. However, that's only up to a certain point. I feel it should add to the story, but not take over the story. I recently read The Three Body Problem and found that all of the main characters were physicists, with dense explanations of the laws and principles governing certain scientific concepts, and I had a really hard time continuing the book once that became a prominent feature.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I think some of the things where are so advance.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”