Alex Fine vs "Mr Robot" TV series

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Alex Fine vs "Mr Robot" TV series

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I'm not sure if any here have seen the TV series called "Mr. Robot". There are many similarities between the two. Both feel alone and have a specific perspective about the world they live in.

What are your thoughts? Is Alex Fine simply a glorified hacker? Should he be allowed to decide what is right or wrong? What is good or evil? Just because he can access information the rest of us can't or aren't allowed to.
In what ways do you think Alex Fine and Mr. Robot are the similar?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I haven't seen Mr. Robot, but I would definitely say that Alex is just a glorified hacker. Isn't that what he's doing when he takes from the bank accounts? It may be a different hacking method, but still...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Interesting comparison.

I am very much a Mr. Robot fan. Not sure about the similarities, just because I don't see Mr. Robot as being much about the hacking. That could just be my view though.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

kandscreeley wrote:I haven't seen Mr. Robot, but I would definitely say that Alex is just a glorified hacker. Isn't that what he's doing when he takes from the bank accounts? It may be a different hacking method, but still...
Yes, when I read that he is getting into bank accounts and government departments all I can think of is him hacking on a level all other hackers could only dream about.

-- 02 Jun 2017, 10:45 --
Gravy wrote:Interesting comparison.

I am very much a Mr. Robot fan. Not sure about the similarities, just because I don't see Mr. Robot as being much about the hacking. That could just be my view though.
I've only seen season one so I can't speak about where the show is currently but the main similarity I see is how both use hacking to want to change the world they live in. Though I agree with you that Mr. Robot isn't primarily about hacking. :D
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This is almost the same with the topic posted on ethical dillema. But my answer is, he has the right to decipher what is right from what is evil. Because right and wrong are subjective. When we do things against the will of the majority, we tend to rationalize for our own actions.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't think he is a glorified hacker, I just think that he acts like one. Personally, I don't agree with his actions of stealing from others. There's not justification for taking something that doesn't belong to you.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Amagine wrote:I don't think he is a glorified hacker, I just think that he acts like one. Personally, I don't agree with his actions of stealing from others. There's not justification for taking something that doesn't belong to you.
I agree. Whatever reason you have in taking the properties of other persons is a crime against humanity. It is a violation of our natural right which is right to property.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

When I read the synopsis for this it made me think of the Mr Robot series, but Mr Robot becomes more about anarchy and the government and less about hacking so maybe that is where the similarities end.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I have always heard that too much power can corrupt. I used to watch Mr. Robot, but then realized that guy, while a genius with technology, was crazy as a betsy bug. Alex seems smart, but confused on how to accomplish the good without doing the bad.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I don't think the stories have many similarities beyond sort of being about "hacking," but I'd say there's a lot more depth to the main character's motivations in Mr. Robot.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
waleed_rehman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by waleed_rehman »

:
kandscreeley wrote:I haven't seen Mr. Robot, but I would definitely say that Alex is just a glorified hacker. Isn't that what he's doing when he takes from the bank accounts?hehe :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: It may be a different hacking method, but still...
-- 21 Jul 2017, 02:47 --

[/quote] This is the way that you learn the way :D :D :D :D :D :D :D [youtube][/youtube]
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I'm slightly biased when it comes on to Alex. Calling him a glorified hacker might be a bit too much, though. He doesn't possess the skills of a hacker exactly, so much as the power to enter the digital world. No one man should be given the power to determine other people's fate, but that he has and that he's doing something arguably good with it makes it not that big of a deal.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

He doesn't possess the skill of a hacker exactly.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”