Page 1 of 2

Vigilantism?

Posted: 02 Jun 2017, 08:22
by Gravy
As a "Robin Hood" type character, I think it's safe to say this has an aspect of vigilantism to it. What are your opinions on the topic in general?

But mainly, if you were of the mind, and had the ability, what cause could inspire/drive you to vigilantism?

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 02 Jun 2017, 08:40
by kandscreeley
I think it was too easy for him. Anything that comes THAT easily would definitely be a temptation to use for anything you want. However, I think he should have been held accountable for his actions. Maybe if he had told a close friend, that friend could have held him accountable? I don't know. Just a thought.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 02 Jun 2017, 18:51
by Jaime Lync
I totally agree with Kandscreeley that having a partner to keep you accountable when you do vigilante work is important. I can't see myself being a vigilante so there is no cause that would really rouse me.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 02 Jun 2017, 21:16
by Amagine
Anyone who mercilessly bullies someone would drive me to vigilantism. My patience for people like that is non-existent.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017, 11:30
by Donnavila Marie01
To stop terrorism. It is destroying lives, families, and other institutions of the society. It keeps the poor countries poorer.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 04 Jun 2017, 10:30
by hsimone
I agree with kandscreeley, I think it was too easy for him and there should be consequences. There is a right way of doing things and a wrong way. Sometimes the line is blurred, but with Alex's case, I don't see him having enough skills and background knowledge to even consider what he is doing. Therefore, he should not be meddling in things that are clearly too much for any individual.

At this point, I don't know if there is a situation that would drive me to vigilantism. I know my limits and my abilities, and I don't think I am equipped to take the law into my own hands.

Great question!

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 04 Jun 2017, 12:13
by jemgirl202
This is a tough subject because there definitely is a line that can be easily crossed. I think it is great that there are people out there who are willing to help, no matter the cost. We see it a lot in movies and tv as well. I think if these powers or special gifts did exist that it could be a benefit. However, there is a line. You will need someone or something to keep you accountable.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 05 Jun 2017, 02:05
by Gravy
I doubt I would ever be of the mind, but if I had an applicable ability, and was the type, there are two things that come to mind for me: children and animals. I can't stand to see those most vulnerable being harmed.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 11 Jun 2017, 08:57
by MrsCatInTheHat
hsimone wrote:I agree with kandscreeley, I think it was too easy for him and there should be consequences. There is a right way of doing things and a wrong way. Sometimes the line is blurred, but with Alex's case, I don't see him having enough skills and background knowledge to even consider what he is doing. Therefore, he should not be meddling in things that are clearly too much for any individual.

At this point, I don't know if there is a situation that would drive me to vigilantism. I know my limits and my abilities, and I don't think I am equipped to take the law into my own hands.

Great question!
I think that if this had happened when he was twenty years older, we'd see a different outcome. More thought before action. His maturity level definitely plays into his decision making. His skills and background knowledge would also be more developed twenty years later.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 14 Jun 2017, 10:05
by Donnavila Marie01
Gravy wrote:I doubt I would ever be of the mind, but if I had an applicable ability, and was the type, there are two things that come to mind for me: children and animals. I can't stand to see those most vulnerable being harmed.
I also love to establish a foundation for animal protection before they are vulnerable to harm from cruel humans.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 14 Jun 2017, 13:16
by Storygamer88
I really like vigilantes - probably because I like antiheroes and most vigilantes at least straggle that border. And I guess thinking back to some fave chars in some series like Batman, a lot of them are lone-wolf esque vigilantes.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 14 Jun 2017, 19:41
by Gravy
Storygamer88 wrote:I really like vigilantes - probably because I like antiheroes and most vigilantes at least straggle that border. And I guess thinking back to some fave chars in some series like Batman, a lot of them are lone-wolf esque vigilantes.
I completely agree with this.

One of my favorite vigilantes is Rorschach from Watchmen. Also, V from V for Vendetta.

It makes for some deliciously complicated characters. 8)

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 15 Jun 2017, 15:28
by Ashie
Personal grief - any crime that hits close to home would probably spur revenge and rage if left unsolved.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 15 Jun 2017, 17:04
by Kelebogile Mbangi
I feel vigilantism is romanticized in movies and books, in real life it can be more of a horror than an actual service to the community. For example, in a township called Dinokana, a few years back, people took matters into their own hands and killed a group of criminals. Although they rid the community of a menace, the means did not justify the result, it was too brutal.

Re: Vigilantism?

Posted: 18 Jun 2017, 21:11
by katiesquilts
Amagine wrote:Anyone who mercilessly bullies someone would drive me to vigilantism. My patience for people like that is non-existent.
I agree! Also corrupt politicians...
I could definitely see myself being a vigilante, but I would only go after people that would not be punished under the court of law. For example, people who bribe their way out of their crimes, people who are never caught in the first place, etc. Of course I would never kill them either, but I would make their lives a living hell. :twisted:
The punishment should be at least equal to the crime they committed! Going to jail and getting free meals and rec time for the rest of their life is being too generous for some criminals.