Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
DanceRhythm
Currently Reading: Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancerhythm.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Re: Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Post by DanceRhythm »

psspcj wrote:I think while reading, it's up to reader's imagination and the writer's writing power which makes it more creative than it may actually be shown in Sci-Fi. While watching Sci-Fi, there is no scope of creativity, we are just watching whatever we have been shown. So, definitely, I prefer reading over watching Sci-Fi.
I agree completely. I love Sci-Fi books, and feel like I am living in the fictional world the writer creates. I enjoy seeing it in my imagination. On the other hand, I have never seen a Sci-Fi movie that made me feel a part of the fictional world, because if is somebody else's imagination at work.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
May-an Tinangag
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by May-an Tinangag »

I prefer reading which helps me understand the story behind its cover. It helps me a lot to improve my reading comprehension. Reading will help me to enhance my ability in understanding, and not to depend only in movies or any electronic devices. This also actually enhance my ability to interpret the story through my imagination or creativity. But reading is not always in a way too good, sometimes it might be better in movies.
Lfc1
Favorite Book: Swimming in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 6
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Lfc1 »

Yes i prefer reading!
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Shaimaa »

For me, it's easier to watch sci-fi. They're too fast and the visual effests are important.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

I like both. It honestly depends on the book itself, how the author has described everything, the length of the story, whether it's dragging on too long, etc. Same with a movie, it depends on the effects and the actors in the movie.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Oh reading! It seems sooo much more real! It's sometimes terrible in some of the films produced with cheap graphics and poor actors. The plot twosts and binds in a good scifi book and my imagination is all the graphic i need.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I think I'd rather watch a sci-fi. What with all the science and technology, one could be lost, though I believe that if the writer is worth his/her salt, reading would be much preferred.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

Definitely watching, it's just easier to picture the aliens or planets or weapons described when they are actual visuals than to read about it. Somehow books just don't do sci-fi justice.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Vickyoreo86 wrote:I think I prefer watching it, only because depending on how good the author is or how knowledgeable they are. Sometimes I am not very good at understanding the mechanics of things. Like ships, what part of it is important, malfunctioning and why. Some authors get really technical about their...technology. Sometimes it is easier for me visually to understand what is happening. However, I am trying to get into the genre far more in recent months. Fantasy is mainly left to our imagination but I believe Sci-Fi is more deeply explained on a technical side. Plus, special effects these days! wow!
I think I prefer watching for the reason that some others get really detailed about technical aspects of their machinery when I'd rather just keep going with the key story line
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

It's a bit of a dilemma for me, but I think it really depends on the author and the series. I really like a lot of sci-fi series, but sometimes seeing them, as interpreted by someone else, ruins the read for me. For example, I read Eragon and devoured the series. When the movie came out, I enjoyed it, but there were obviously things that did not match to the book. Without going too much into how filmmakers can also be interpreters and authors themselves, I think I prefer reading sci-fi instead of watching it. Unless of course the sci-fi was film first, then book. Those types of films tend to do better than books-turned-movies.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
LadyLynn
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylynn.html

Post by LadyLynn »

Hmm, this is a tough question! I have definitely watched more Sci-fi than I have read, but I've enjoyed reading it just as much as watching on the occasions that I have immersed myself in the pages of a sci-fi book. So I would have to say that I don't really have a preference here. I enjoy them both.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I love watching sci-fi, such as Star Wars and Game of Thrones, but I also love to watch them. I really could not choose. This is one of the hardest questions for me to answer.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I find listening to the audio book for Sci-Fi books works best. They help me feel totally engrossed in the story and I don't get distracted as easily.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Sal the Gal
Favorite Author: Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 89">Stig's Flight of Encounters</a>
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 64907

Post by Sal the Gal »

I enjoy both watching and reading. But watching can be much more of a social thing, whether it's just in front of the TV or at the big screen, you get that instant interaction with your friends on the ins and outs of the movie. Although you can come to an online site such as this one and share the book. Each have their own pros and cons. 8)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It is a 50/50 kind of deal
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”