Orphans as Heroes

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Orphans as Heroes

Post by Storygamer88 »

I learned in my creative writing class in college that this was a common trope because it frees the writer from having to worry about parental or authority figures limiting the actions of the children. For example, how many parents would allow their kids to go off hunting horcruxes, within reason?

It also gives the protagonist an underdog background, which is nice.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

The ones already mentioned are quite good. I think the fact that authors use orphaned fictional characters sends a message.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

Batman and Superman. Well,orphans in stories are either heroes or villains. Their past and how they were raised up without parents are what makes them more appealing.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Miriam Molina wrote:In Superhighway, Alex grows up without parents, an orphan since birth.
Harry Potter was also an orphan; his parents were killed by Voldemort when he was a mere baby.
It seems orphans are likely heroes because their life experiences give them compassion and readers easily empathize with them.
Would you know of other orphan/heroes in books and movies? I'm quite sure there are a lot.
I don't really see Alex as a hero in the book. He was born with supernatural ability, but not all of his choices were good, and they actually brought harm to others in some instances. A hero to me would be more likely to put his own desires on the back burner for the greater good. Alex, although quite generous with his ill-gotten gains, was immature and a bit selfish.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I think the reason why orphans make such good heroes is because even though they feel alone, they still try to do the right thing. It doesn't mean they're perfect, and even they have doubts sometimes, probably more because they don't know where they came from. And in real life, there are a lot of instances where orphans don't end up being heroes; they do whatever it takes to survive, trampling on whoever gets in the way. There are also orphans who are heroes because they didn't have any choice, and would rather fight for themselves than fight for others.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think that orphans as heroes is an overused trope. It's unoriginal at this point and makes the story boring because it's all been done before.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Being an orphan in itself is crippling because there is usually nobody there to look out for you. Nobody there to truly care about your well being and your direction in life. So when someone like that beats the odds its inspiring to say the list. Like Cinderella for instance.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I agree that orphans are built with much more than meets the eye and are capable of much more compassion than the average Joe. I recall orphan Annie, being the light of the orphanage. I cannot right now, recall other orphans as heroes.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

The literary tradition of orphans as heroes goes back hundreds of years. It occurs so often that you can find it in almost any series. Jane Eyre is an orphan. So is her counterpart, Bertha Mason. Frodo Baggins is an orphan. Practically every character in The 5th Wave is an orphan. The list goes on and on.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I think the orphan narrative is getting a little old. Why can't someone have parents who are alive and well and absolutely love them? Give the main character something else to fight for.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I’m sure there are several examples out there. There’s of course Annie and Oliver. I do like the general idea regarding orphans rising up and overcoming adversity as long as it’s not overdone.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I'm glad someone mentioned Bruce Wayne near the top because he was the first character that came to mind and he is my favourite comic book character. I think that sense of loss, loneliness and abandonment (not intentional of course, but there nonetheless) awakens something inside everyone. In some cases it's not always good, as there are some that become the villains of the story with a background like that. It just proves how much of our experiences as children shape us as we grow older.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Batman and Superman are both orphans. When it comes on to heroes in novels, almost every character I can think of has a tragic past where they most likely lost their parents. I wouldn't exactly label Alex as of their calibre, though.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I think it depends on the character of the orphan.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”