What defines a (super)hero?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
KEVIN MWAI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What defines a (super)hero?

Post by KEVIN MWAI »

Anyone can be a hero of their own fate. It all depends with the trend of consideration.If one decides to make positive trends in his/her life chances of crowning it a hero tag are possible,,respectively as negative trends too,,but to my opinion what defines a hero is the positive mega change and impacts the humble enjoy from them.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

There are many superhero stories I have read about since childhood. But for me a superhero is someone who helps the needy and supports the right without any fear. He/she should be selfless and motivating.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Naijaarchive
Currently Reading: Castle Eppstein
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Naijaarchive »

As for me anyone who is willing to stand up for others, protect them from danger, morally upright and selfless is a superhero... He/she doesn't have to have to possess any super powers
Yong Maraise

Post by Yong Maraise »

I think what makes an individual a super heroe is the fact that at a certain moment, he or she undertakes a risk thinking less of their welfare just to save people he is not even related to. A superheroe is some one who will stand up against a malpractice fight and liberate the situation, no matter the consequences, all this are promted by the importance of a thing or situation, love and care, thank you
Sin24
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sin24.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Sin24 »

When I first saw this question the answer that automatically came to mind, was that a superhero is someone who aids another while knowing that in doing so, that they themself will have to face tremendous adversity, while a hero, on the other hand, is someone who rises up to help others who are in the same difficult situation as himself. However, after reading some of the other responses my answer has been modified to some degree, while I still retain the belief that being a hero or a superhero has nothing to do with having a " special ability," I have now come to the understanding that the definition of a hero isn't so much about the act that they perform but instead have more to do with the perception of the observers and the victim, in conclusion, an act that I may deem as heroic another may not see it as such.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Muhammad Shakeel

Post by Muhammad Shakeel »

super hero is not person who is like a man with super power in real world.who have a stick and do all the work with ordering to his stick...its means a person who just decide to do good work inn his life .and he is has done all the work with perfection.then is called super hero.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Amagine wrote:I view Alex as an anti-hero. He's an anti-hero because he is changing so many people's lives for the better with his charity and money. He has bad qualities though so that is why he's not your normal hero.

Even though he has a super ability, I don't view him as a superhero. I don't know why but when I think of a superhero, I think of someone who fights while using their super ability. Alex doesn't strike me as the fighting type.

I have to agree with this as I saw Alex not as a hero.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
michiness
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michiness.html
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz

Post by michiness »

According to Deadpool, making the right choice at an opportune time.
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I don't think Alex is in any way a hero. He uses the money he acquires to help others, but he gets the money by outright stealing it. It doesn't matter if the people he is stealing it from are criminals themselves, it's still stealing!

Heroes are selfless!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

For me, a hero is the one who helps others and will always be there to offer support. A person who inspires you to do your best and to never give up.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
May-an Tinangag
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by May-an Tinangag »

For me, hero are those people who know how to help other people. They don't even think about safety just to save other people's life.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

A hero could be any guy with special powers. I would like to quote spiderman: "with great power comes great responsibility." A hero becomes a super-hero when he becomes responsible for the use of his powers. In this case, Alex has shown SOME traits of a super-hero.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
faith wanyonyi

Post by faith wanyonyi »

a superhero is a figure especially in a comic strip or cartoon endowed with superhuman powers and usually portrayed as fighting evil or crime
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

A hero is someone who Saves, like Jesus Christ who saves the sin of the world.

John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Seleb

Post by Seleb »

A hero is anyone from anywhere within planet earth who does not need the supernatural power or any divine spirit to influence and make a brave positive impact amongst other people who are in misery or subjected to poor social,political or economic dynamics.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”