How would a super-ability change your life?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Re: How would a super-ability change your life?

Post by Lest92 »

katiesquilts wrote:
Amagine wrote:If I had the ability to teleport, it would change my life for the better. I would be able to sleep in longer because I don't have to commute to work any more. I would be able to visit friends more easily because I don't really have to travel. I wouldn't tell anyone of my ability though because I wouldn't want all the attention.
Yes, this is a great idea! I love the idea of cutting down 12 or 14 hour flights to mere seconds!
If I never had to ride in an airline again I'd be so happy... Although I feel like people would question how you got to places so quickly, or if you visited a foreign country without a boarding stamp on your visa you could get in major trouble. :|
Good point about the visa ... I suppose one could teleport out of trouble?
sugargelo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sugargelo »

if i had the ability to read minds, it will be easier for me to understand people's motives for doing things
joshmanzano
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfender.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by joshmanzano »

I would try to keep my ability as concealed as possible. If people found out about my ability, my life would change for the worst. As long as I keep the knowledge of my ability to myself and a few important and trustworthy people, I think its effect on my life would be limited.
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Lest92 wrote:
katiesquilts wrote:
Amagine wrote:If I had the ability to teleport, it would change my life for the better. I would be able to sleep in longer because I don't have to commute to work any more. I would be able to visit friends more easily because I don't really have to travel. I wouldn't tell anyone of my ability though because I wouldn't want all the attention.
Yes, this is a great idea! I love the idea of cutting down 12 or 14 hour flights to mere seconds!
If I never had to ride in an airline again I'd be so happy... Although I feel like people would question how you got to places so quickly, or if you visited a foreign country without a boarding stamp on your visa you could get in major trouble. :|
Good point about the visa ... I suppose one could teleport out of trouble?

Then everyone would DEFINITELY know your secret! And you'd probably end up on someone's Most Wanted list... Like Area 51's, for example. :lol:
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I don't think I would like to have a super ability. I am happy being a normal human being. But ya, I would definitely love to get invisible for one day and only my voice could be heard. My evil mind wants to evasdrop on other's conversations. Lol?
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I feel that at the start, I would really enjoy having a super-ability to make my life easier, for example teleporting or flying. Eventually, though, I would probably miss doing things the slow way and feel that I had become too dependent on the super-ability. I would also not get much exercise if I could teleport!
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Lyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyra.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lyra »

I believe that any super-ability causes positive and negative life experiences. It's how one deals with whatever life throws at you that matters. I could choose to be a pessimist and believe that it could be changing my life for the worse. That I may lose everything and everyone I hold dear, and I'd be powerless to do anything about it because my own powers caused it. However, I could look at it as glass half-full, in that no matter how things might stray, with the right thinking, behavior, and actions, any negative tide may turn. This isn't to say that it's because I have a super-ability everything will turn my way. It's because with great power comes great responsibility, and it's that responsibility to everyone and myself included that could motivate me to make difficult decisions. That were I a pessimist, I'd shy away from making and possibly ignore any such problem or decision and be so small minded and vain in focusing on how all of these affect me and only me, and not how it affects everyone around me and not just myself. So, a super-ability can either change my response to life as either being vain and small minded, or it could motivate me to be better as a general rule for myself and everyone else.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I don't think I would want to have a super ability since any super ability reduces the fun of a particular task. Unless something is challenging, it wouldn't be fun. I would like to keep things the way they are since that is how they were meant to be.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Ssinghal wrote:I don't think I would want to have a super ability since any super ability reduces the fun of a particular task. Unless something is challenging, it wouldn't be fun. I would like to keep things the way they are since that is how they were meant to be.
Maybe, but that's why you choose a superpower that helps you with the things you don't like!
I mean, you can take your time to paint a picture properly, but who wants to spend time on the dishes? :lol:
cechappell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cechappell.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by cechappell »

I think that having a superpower would change my life in a bad way. I would likely lose all of my friends because they would not be able to understand me in any way. If i did not lose my friends I would always be scared that they only liked me because I was super. I could probably keep my job, but it would not be the same after my powers. I do not think that I would get lonely though. Maybe every once in a while, but not a very often thing.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I really don't think I would want to have to deal with the tremendous amount of responsibility of having a superpower. I'm sure it would be awesome for a short amount of time, though.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

It's a great thought. If I would have the ability of teleportation, I can go to every places that I want without having to pay for transportation. If I have telekenesis, it will be easier for me to move things using my mind without the hassle of having to get up to do it. And also not to be interrupted on my work.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Francis Nwachukwu
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Francis Nwachukwu »

I don't think it is right to do that because all powers belong to God almighty and He cannot share his glory with any man.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Whatever you have on the outside of you, that can not affect your inner person will never change you. A super-ability with the same old you on the inside will never make you a good person unless you choose to deal with the inside of you first of all. It will only act like a magnifier for us to see who we really are on the inside. A super-ability wouldn't change our lives in terms of changing us on the inside, it will afford us the ability to express certain aspects of who we are that will change our externals. However, if we allow our external to form us, and replace what we have on the inside then it can change our lives either for the better or worse, this in itself is affected by what we have on the inside; are we easily influenced, are we compassionate, are we vengeful, are we lovers of praise, are we opinionated and proud.

I would say that a super-ability will change my external life, based on who I am on the inside, it would be the great revealer of my true self to the world.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I don't think a super power will change me, maybe a change for good though, it will enable me help more people around me. I'll still have the same people and things around me but If it's something that can be kept a secret, I'll love to leave it like that
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”