What Do You Think of "Real" Superheroes?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: What Do You Think of "Real" Superheroes?

Post by Gravy »

I am actually surprised by how few people know about this. :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Emmaky
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaky.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Emmaky »

I haven't heard of it nor seen someone dressed like a superhero in my country ( only seen my nephew dressed as a superman for talent day event in his school).
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't think that it is a good way to protect the neighbourhood. To be a true superhero, one does not need to wear costumes or have super powers.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I have never heard before about real people dressing up in suits and proctecting neighborhoods. Wow! I think we should leave that to professionals like police officers and soldiers. I thought that only occurred on TV.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

Paroca wrote:In my university, there's this man with special needs (I believe his brain stopped developing at a young age) who dresses up as a superhero, and walks around the campus. He's not there to keep peace per se, but to provide motivation and positivity to the people he meets. He encourages those who are working out, gives out compliments generously, and is always ready to give you a high five. There are also stories of him helping people cross the street or accompanying ladies who are walking alone between buildings at night. And there's nothing creepy or whatever about him. His kindness is a superpower on its own.
Wow! That seems nice.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Real superheroes are never identified. They remain quiet and don't talk much about being who they are.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
njoro_i
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by njoro_i »

i think they exist in our life bringing the good in us and guiding to make the society worth living and fighting for.they may not have fabricated costume by the make hope in us press on and our neighborhood.
but the greatest of all the hero is always in you.
krithikagowri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krithikagowri.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by krithikagowri »

This is the first I am hearing about it. I believe real super heroes do exist albeit without wearing a costume.
Mohamed Amr
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mohamed Amr »

I think that real superheros exist like our fathers or mothers they were really working hard to get this position of my life or a real superhero can be the police officer , fireman ext....... So I think that a superhero can be anyone maybe me or you or him or her.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

For those who have never heard of this, here's one of many stories on some of them: 15 Awesome Vigilantes That Really Fight Crime.

They land all over the spectrum, from actually physically defending citizens who are being attacked, to being very active in community outreach, and empowering the individual.

And it's nice to see that it isn't just an American thing! :lol:

Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

This is quite an eye-opener. I have never heard of "real superheros" before, but I do believe in such things happening in America. I find it pointless, because you don't have to dress up in a costume to be a hero.
Geek_zain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geek-zain.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Geek_zain »

I don't consider real superheroes to be the dress up kind of people. Being a real superhero to me is the tiny acts of kindness that we offer and those small good deeds we do each and every day.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

I can't say that I have ever seen this or even knew it was an actual thing people did. I have obviously seen it in movies or tv shows, but didn't realize that it was something that was actual done. In saying that I think it is admirable in a world that shows hate and terror far too often. I love finding the good in people and seeing people trying to make the world a better place. That helps me keep my faith in humanity when all that is on the news is negativity and sadness. The costume would just make it cool to me. :D
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Ljessup wrote:I can't say that I have ever seen this or even knew it was an actual thing people did. I have obviously seen it in movies or tv shows, but didn't realize that it was something that was actual done. In saying that I think it is admirable in a world that shows hate and terror far too often. I love finding the good in people and seeing people trying to make the world a better place. That helps me keep my faith in humanity when all that is on the news is negativity and sadness. The costume would just make it cool to me. :D

I'm geek enough to admit that I agree with you. :D

Steve Cotterill
Currently Reading: The Captive State
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Steve Cotterill »

More power to their elbow, if they can do it and do it safely. There was a community in Seattle for a while I think and they did as much stuff like feeding the homeless as they did fighting crime. I think one of them decided it was safer to go back to being a wrestler though, after he'd got into some fights, which I guess shows how dangerous it would be to pull on a leotard and domino mask to do it for real.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”