I am vs. I'm

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: I am vs. I'm

Post by kfwilson6 »

riazziea wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 15:06 I believe that it has to do with how the writer and narrorator are speaking. If the book is in first person and is more towards the conversational side of things, then I'm would seem appropriate. If it's more of a general telling or explanation I am seems to fit. Also when writing dialogue, I'm should be used because that is the normal vernacular and having someone say "I am" would sound strange. It really all depends on the context of the phrases.
Great explanation. I completely agree with this response. I can't say I noticed this issue but when I thought about the way I actually speak I would say "I'm". If you are writing formally, you should not use contractions at all such as in an academic paper. I agree that in the context of this novel, I'm probably was more fitting. I have read some very stilted dialogue and I didn't find it that off putting in this novel. It did sound a bit more formal than how a teenage boy would typically speak.
jamertin2963
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jamertin2963 »

This wasn't the only contraction that was mostly avoided in this book, and I think the lack of contractions made the dialogue clunky fairly frequently.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Since they both have the same meaning I didn't mind much. But I guess one sound casual and the other more official.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I feel that the use of the former looks good when writing a letter and the latter is commonly used in oral communication.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I'd have to agree. Formal writing would be for a formal paper. However, a book taking place entirely in the first person would simply not have the same amount of formality.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I agree and even mentioned it in my review. Some of the conversational language used is too formal and is distracting because he is supposed to be a native English speaker from a city.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

If this was an academic paper or something, I would prefer the use of "I am" because it seems more professional. However, when a character is speaking in a story, regardless of whether it is to the reader or another character, I believe it's better to use the more conversational "I'm."
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I don't have a strong opinion about either and not sure hows it's annoying one or another...
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

I learned from one of my English professors that if you use contractions people tend not to take your writings seriously. Sure it can vary, but also not using contractions increases your word length by a little bit, so maybe that was his intention? Whenever I read sometimes I like to read "I'm" instead of "I am" but just depends on how it is used.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

I feel like the author did this because Alex is supposed to be "brilliant", therefore showing this through a more formal narrative tone.
Naveed726
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naveed726 »

“I’m” is a contraction or short form for I am. It is used in informal style and never in formal style. It is used in Spoken English.
“I am” is the usual form seen in Formal style. We use it in text books,and legal drafts etc.,
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I believe using "I'm" makes the dialogue flow better than "I am". Every time "I am" was used, it just felt stiff to me.
Mac :techie-reference:
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Whether you use 'I am' or 'I'm' depends on the mood of the conversation or topic.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

In more casual conversation, I think "I'm" is more common. When the author uses "I am" is breaks up the flow and makes the writing feel forced.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

This was something I noticed. I didn't really have a problem with the use of the 'I am' so much as the stiff formality of how the characters were interacting, especially considering their relative youth. When talking to people, I find we generally use the "I am' when we're trying to place importance or emphasis on something versus when we use 'I'm the conversation seems to flow more smoothly.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”