I Wander Lonely as a Cloud by William Wordsworth

Read and discuss classic short stories.
plefkowitzx
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plefkowitzx.html

Re: I Wander Lonely as a Cloud by William Wordsworth

Post by plefkowitzx »

I loved this poem. You could just see how at one the persona in the poem is with the nature surrounding them. My favourite line of the poem is "I Wander Lonely as a Cloud". The first line and title. You can see why Wordsworth chose this line as the title. It is so fitting for the constant theme of solitude and it is just such a lovely way to describe loneliness - almost a euphemism as such. Such a delight!
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I've always loved this poem because it's so visual. With such few words, he's able to paint such a vivid, memorable picture. We do get that feeling of happiness any time we look at beauty in nature--and Wordsworth has captured it so well. I love the last stanza.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

I like this poem and enjoyed sharing it with my students.
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

That first line grabbed me: "I wondered lonely as a cloud." It's raw emotional power sucks me in, makes my heart break, and brings me back to a state of growing pains, of love loss and yearning for hope. I don't know why this first line does this, and it may be because I've been reading Teen novels and stories of soldiers suffering lately, but it spoke to me in this way.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I read this poem a long time ago but it brings a smile to my face whenever I reread it. I have read most if not all of Wordsworth's works and I am not sure that I have a favorite. I love all of them so picking just one is hard. Thank you for posting this again for all of us to read.
scorpyo77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorpyo77.html

Post by scorpyo77 »

Wow I never considered Romanticism as the first "green"....this is fantastic insight! I tend to think of Thoreau when I consider nature's impact on literature....but for the Transcendentalists nature was more a place to escape than a place to be revered.
Love this poem!
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

5) Solitude seems to be of major importance in this poem. Is there a reason for this? Is nature something that should be enjoyed by the individual?

Personally, I believe that nature is something that should be shared alone as well as with another or others. Nature has so much to say to not only the individual, but a crowd as well. Seeing as nature is one of lonesome in a crowded forest. There can be a single oak tree grown in a land of pine. That's how a person should enjoy the nature surrounding them.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I actually thought the poem was titled Daffodils. Anyway, I love the peacefulness of the poem and the fact that it focuses a lot on nature. I had to study it for my secondary certificate exams.
JFrancis
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfrancis.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by JFrancis »

I have always loved the last two lines of this work. I enjoy the imagery of daffodils dancing. It sets a beautiful image in my mind.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love this poem. I think that nature is best enjoyed alone.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
richa nanaiah 6262
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo

Post by richa nanaiah 6262 »

This beautiful poem written by wordsworth speaks of the immense joy experienced by the poet during his lonely walk....the daffodils gave him so much happiness that it made him forget he was lonely.his heart and mind was so much invested in happiness that even after returning home he could imagine the same beautiful sight and experience the same joy.....the poet here speaks of the existance of a power in the nature....the power of happiness which one can experince while feeling the nature around.
LadyRed23_

Post by LadyRed23_ »

This is beautiful it made me vividly vision just what he spoke. I have never read anything by him but I would love to read more. This author has such a good eye for making you see the beauty in nature ,I love nature and this made me fall in love all over again.
nobuhle mpofu

Post by nobuhle mpofu »

He is a loner in love with nature's beauty never mind his solitude. Too complicated but worth it
jen flores
Currently Reading:

Post by jen flores »

imagine you are so sad you cannot smile. and then you see the golden daffodils beside a lake, beneath the trees, fluttering and dancing in the breeze, maybe you cant smile but you will feel a tug at your heart.
Mikhail kal
Currently Reading:

Post by Mikhail kal »

In times of solitude our minds take us back to the places we visited, the books we read and the friends we met. Its a warm feeling not necessarily a sad one.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”