Do you like reading books about places you've never been?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do you like reading books about places you've never been

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Isnt that a part of why we read books? To visit places we've never been, experience feelings we've never felt, meet people we've never met - All through our minds eye.
Exactly! :tiphat:
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
doremon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by doremon »

I always want to read such books.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Yes, especially if they are places that I would like to visit, such as China.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

That is a great question - one that reaches far beyond the scope of this book. I don't believe MY TRIP TO ADELE was written so much to describe far away places as it was a story of select human experiences of individuals from faraway places. Granted, Elias' return to Marrakesh caused me to pause the story so that I could visit it on Wikipedia. But still, his story was more interesting than the place of Marrakesh. Yaser and Mariam's story was more interesting than Los Vegus, and Nadia's story was more interesting than Amman, Jordan.
I find that visiting a place is not like reading about it. Each place I've visited seem to have its own sense about it – its own spirit that can never be found anywhere else. How does one find words that can impart that experience onto the reader?
Virgo
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Virgo »

It's exciting to read about places I have never being before cause it helps my imagination to create things.
I love day dreaming on a normal day, so I get comfortable imagining events and places in novels/books. It's one of my personality traits as a Virgo.?
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Of course! I get to travel (via imagination) without actually travelling! It's like a review we ask people who have seen the place before going. When authors describe places in detail, I almost feel the pleasure of actually being there.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I absolutely love reading books about places I've never been to. I grew up in a very isolated area, and it was through books that I was able to become more cultured.
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

Yes, I love books like these. I especially do if they're very descriptive and capture the feeling of the places as well as how they look. If they manage to do this in fiction or nonfiction, it's already among my favorites. It helps draw me in and lets me see what the narrator or characters are seeing, and get a better understanding of what they experience in the book.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I find reading books about different places is one of the main reasons I read. Most often I'll never be able to go there so I love being transported there through a book. Even places which don't exist. Some books I've experienced this with are all the Jane Austen books with it's settings in England, "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Hunger Games". To name a few.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I quite enjoy reading about places I've never been. Both places I'd like to visit one day, and those that I have no prior feelings towards.
One of my favorite places for books to be set is South Africa.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

Absolutely!

Reading books of places I've never been will give me a chance to familiarize myself with it like knowing their culture, traditions, what beautiful places to see if I happen to be in that place one day. It's just good to know what to expect.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
normindrasarawi
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by normindrasarawi »

Absolutely yes! It feels like I'm on a journey, and it's one of the quickest way to learn their culture.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

It's not just the new places I've enjoyed eating about but the culture as well. There are millions of things to say about Shakespeare but all he did was transport English culture and expectations to places like Verona or Venice.

One of the things I loved about this book was the representation on how people bring their culture with them when they move. I had no idea that dowries were still an active tradition or how they worked. It was very nice to see that even in a city renown for its sins that a traditional family could footing without falling to the cliche of a "Vegas story."
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I actually prefer reading books about places I have never visited. It allows me to use my imagination so much more! Sometimes the reality is not as great as the description in books or your own mind. I tried to read a book based in my home city but I was concentrating too much on whether they had the descriptions correct. Took some of the romance out of an otherwise good story. But then I am a fantasy reader at heart, I enjoy world building of fictional places.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Ianshie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ianshie »

Yes,because it gets me excited and widen my imagination as if I am exactly in the place where i really love to go

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”