Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Re: Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Post by kislany »

Yes, as long as the author knows how to deal with many protagonists in the book. So many authors get confused (without realizing), which confuses us, readers, even more. Each person should have his or her own distinctive voice, which should shine clearly through the writing.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

One protagonist definitely makes it an easy read! It was a little hard to get three threads running in my head simultaneously but once I got the hang of it, it was okay. Some books without good flow make multiple protagonists a headache. But not this one! I really enjoyed how they all had a common interest for Adele.
EWinters
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewinters.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by EWinters »

I love reading books with multiple protagonists when the different protagonists are actually different (in viewpoint, experience, skill, etc. ). Far too often though, books with multiple protagonists could be altered to have just one, and the core of the book or story wouldn't even be changed or affected.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

I love stories with multiple protagonists especially if they have something that connects them together.
I think the authors of My Trip To Adele did a find job in linking three stories in one.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I think both options can be great, depending on how well-written each character is. Sometimes multiple protagonists can make the story hard to follow, but when it is done well it can open up a new perspective on the story being told.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker&rsquo;s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

If they are well written and make sense, then yes.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

When its done right. Each character has to add something to the story and have a clear voice. A great example of a bookI just finished reading was Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.That book was awesome and the multiple protagonists each stood out and made the book that much better. Breaking Dawn was aight. One book that just didnt get it right was Allegiant by Veronica Roth. It was a mess. That whole book was a mess because of how it was written. Felt rushed and sloppy.
FireFairy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=20590">A Court of Thorns and Roses</a>
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairy.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by FireFairy »

I both like and dislike the idea of multiple protagonists, and I usually prefer reading books where there is only one main protagonist. On one hand, it's cool to have different views if they protagonists are connected in the main story, or it's cool just to have more than one story in a book. On the other hand, if I'm really interested in one character and either dislike or find the other characters boring then I have the tendency to skip over their points of view. With books with only one protagonist, I tend to know right off the bat whether or not I will like the protagonist and be able to finish the book. Books with multiple protagonists are harder for me to finish if I don't like one or more of the protagonists, but then I also want to finish it because I love that one protagonist from the bunch.

Sometimes books with multiple protagonists are not written correctly either. Either the story is confusing because of the different views, you wonder how these people connect to each other, or some other reason. Multiple protagonist books are hard to write and even harder to do correctly and if done incorrectly it makes me even more adverse to reading them than before. I do like single protagonist books more. All that being said there are some really good multiple protagonists books out there and every once in a while they are great for a change in pace.
DanceRhythm
Currently Reading: Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancerhythm.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by DanceRhythm »

I like multiple protagonists, as long as the number is low enough so that I don't get lost in all the points of view. I think some authors over do it. Tow or three is okay, more is too many.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I do love multiple protagonists, but no more than two, otherwise I get confused.

Unlike other books I've read, I found protagonists in My trip to Adele much alike. I felt the same about each of them; it all felt united under similar pressure of circumstances.
Brenda Kiptim
Currently Reading: Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-kiptim.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by Brenda Kiptim »

yes it creates mystrey
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I love books with multiple protagonists! In this case, when there is an event, no one is going to have the same experience or reactions. I love seeing different points of view and how it all comes together in the end.
HannahJean
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HannahJean »

I usually don't like multiple protagonists especially if they are not connected. It is hard for me to get into books like that and they seem choppy to me. Although I did love Game of Thrones which has a lot of different views. Each chapter left me hanging and I couldn't wait to get back to that character.
TJ de Ocampo
Currently Reading: Fire in the Lake
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tj-de-ocampo.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

Frame stories are a treat. That is if the author is brilliant enough to develop multiple characters at the same time.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
May-an Tinangag
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by May-an Tinangag »

I like books with multiple protagonists because it is more interesting to read. If the book contains only one protagonist, it is boring to read. If I will read only one protagonist, I always keep falling asleep whenever I try to read it.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”