Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Post by DDunstock »

Not particularly. I like to cheer for one person, I suppose. That being said, there are certainly great books that have more than one protagonist.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
RimaeFlip_23
Favorite Author: Carolyn Keene
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rimaeflip-23.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
fav_author_id: 2364

Post by RimaeFlip_23 »

Yes, I like reading books with multiple protagonists. I get to know each character and their differences and I also want to know how the story ends for each of them.

With multiple protagonists, it just shows how the author incorporated each of them to make the story and it makes it exciting because each of the them is different. Even though, it's nice to read books with multiple protagonists, I hope the author didn't have a hard time. I salute the author for that.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Elli Karampela
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elli-karampela.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Elli Karampela »

On the one hand, I like reading books like The Trip to Adele with multiple protagonists in the case of an underlying connection among them all, regardless of the fact that they live in different places. Adele provides a nice opportunity to connect the narrative threads and find meaningfulness in the characters' seemingly different quest. On the other hand, I feel like an immersive narrative with one protagonist can draw you more effectively into his/her fictional life, if only because you get to follow his/her narrative exclusively and maybe get into a much more concentrated experience of the book. Nevertheless, multiple protagonists can remove some of the possible stress/strain an intense book with one protagonist may have. So, I guess, it depends on how the issue is handled.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf »

It is interesting to read the story from different perspectives. But too many narrators spoil the story. Their story could be told in a different book.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

I don't mind if they are multiple or single as long as it's a good story.
metawriter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by metawriter »

Books with multiple protagonists can be good reading, I think. Especially if the writer knows how to tie in the plot that brings their problems or stories together. The solutions don't necessarily ever have to fold into the characters meeting, but the way they tie in is the make or break.
KatieSavage
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesavage.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KatieSavage »

I love books with multiple protagonists. I love seeing all of the different view points the author creates. It makes me feel more intrigued by the story line because I'm always trying to figure out what several different characters are going to do next or how they are connected. It certainly enriches the story and gives it a meaning it never could have had with just one protagonist. I enjoy reading about multiple characters that I like and want to succeed.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Multiple protagonists provide parallel perspectives and make it interesting. Like you get a time to time break from characters and also it makes you feel that world is a much diverse place.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

It really depends on the author’s style of writing, but generally, yes, I enjoy reading a book with multiple protagonists. It usually keeps me engaged and curious about what would happen in their lives. The best examples are Sidney Sheldon’s novels. They are amazing. I cannot even find the perfect words to describe how great he wrote his stories.
Creating Serenity
Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creating-serenity.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Creating Serenity »

Amagine wrote:In the story, we are introduced to three protagonists who are all in different continents and who have lives that are completely separate from one another. With multiple protagonists, it's like you get three different stories and plot in one book.

As a reader, do you like books with multiple protagonists or do you prefer to have only one? Why? What is it about having a singular or multiple protagonist that intrigues you?
It really depends on the story. I love getting different points of view as it makes the plot (sometimes) more understandable. However, if the writing cannot interweave the plots together to form the dance needed for the different protagonists to make sense to each other, then the entire thing will fall apart.

I am trying like crazy but I cannot remember the last book I read with multiple protagonists. I read a lot of YA so they're mostly one pov. I'm going to be wracking my brain now!
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
rjthegreat92
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjthegreat92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by rjthegreat92 »

Some stories are better with multiple protagonists like this one. Some others are not. So to me it really depends on the story and how well the author shifts between them.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

I like both but if I were to choose then I think I'd go for the one with multiple protagonists. It is a challenge on the part of the author, and it is also exciting to read a story that doesn't only revolve around a single person.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

Amagine wrote:In the story, we are introduced to three protagonists who are all in different continents and who have lives that are completely separate from one another. With multiple protagonists, it's like you get three different stories and plot in one book.

As a reader, do you like books with multiple protagonists or do you prefer to have only one? Why? What is it about having a singular or multiple protagonist that intrigues you?

Bonus question: Do you feel like My Trip to Adele did well in using multiple protagonists?
I read a book which has about six primary characters and at times, I mixed and jumbled up the plot. It is intriguing that reveals more than what a protagonist can show us. It makes the reader have a few vantage point to make reading a better experience.

For your bonus question, I think it is good that the author goes with the multiple protagonists but I couldn't say that it was better than having a protagonist on this story. Anyways, I'm satisfied on how the author wrote it.
Lusiia
Currently Reading: Mating Brand
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lusiia.html
Reading Device: B01GOUVM8S

Post by Lusiia »

Yes, for sure. It's more interesting to read such kind of book.
Still, I always choose the one I like the most and can even read only the parts about him missing all the others.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:I like books with multiple protagonists. Though the writers of these books need a pat on their back because maintaining the essence of all the characters throughout the book is quiet difficult.
I agree. They do. And multpiple protagonists help to create a lot of sub plots that create a richer larger plot once done correctly. Hence, i donlike multiple protagonists and the chemistry they build within a novel
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”