Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Post by Juliet Esther »

When it comes to protagonists in a story, one or many can do for me.. I think most authors avoid using many protagonists to avoid some kind of confusion. It really doesn't matter to me how many protagonists are in the book as long as i understand the book
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I've always enjoyed books with multiple protagonists, especially if their lives do somehow intersect along the way. It reminds me that we are all connected to one another, in some way, even if we don't realize it.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Shaimaa »

Mostly, I prefer stories with less protagonists just to be more focused on a character or a couple, but sometimes, it's fine by me to have multiple protagonists when the writer does justice to the characters.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I don't mind multiple protagonists, but I definitely do mind if the different protagonists aren't specifically marked as such. I just finished reading a book where that was a real issue. There were as many as 20 perspective changes in one chapter. Not fun.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I was never a fan of multiple protagonists, but as ive gotten older i find breaking up the story creates depth in the mystery and helps me to visualise myself in many shoes so to speak, and it helps to lessen the intense focus on one main interest, and give each character their own chance to show their depths, hence my view has changed... not so bad after all!
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
M394N
Currently Reading: The Devil's Detective
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m394n.html

Post by M394N »

More than one protagonist has deterred me from finishing a few novels before. I find myself attaching to a certain character and wanting to continue their journey. If it sidetracks to others, I may lose interest all together. If the characters continually intersect at a good pace, I stay intrigued. Depends entirely on the plot and character development.
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html

Post by Tamanna »

I love stories told in multiple POVs as we, the readers, are given an insight to a wide variety of characters and we can see things from different perspectives. I also love it when the different characters interact with each other.
My favourites are when there is something linking these different POVs together like music does in My Trip to Adele.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I do like reading books with multiple protagonists. I like the different perspectives and the decentralisaion of the individualistic nature of a single protagonist. But it can't be disjointed, and when charcacters do entertwine, it must feel like puzzle pieces fitting together. That's just my take..
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I love books that show different points of view. I enjoyed reading about their different perspectives and having the plot of the book continue to flow smoothly.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Yes I love reading books with multiple protagonists. But I feel it's more about the plot and how well the characters are portrayed. I really loved this book and each character in it.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I feel as though i have an unpopular opinion by saying I love books with multiple protagonists. I love books that switch POVs between chapters and tell different stories that form into one story.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

There are a few that are so well written that I don't mind but Generally , No. I'd like to focus on one protagonist per story.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

I do like books with multiple protagonists. I like to get a sense of what different characters are feeling in the story, I like a variety of personalities to experience, and I like to see how these different personalities react to the same conflicts and situations. I go for books that are more character-oriented.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

yes I like it! it might be difficult but the thrill is there. It made me excited to read thoroughly and wanted to finish reading it as soon as possible.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I love books with multiple protagonists, I just enjoy a book that does not revolve around a single character. There is a sense of surprise to it that I love.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”