Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Re: Do you like reading books with multiple protagonists?

Post by Dh_ »

It can be a bit confusing, but I do like books with more than one point of view. I think this book did very well with all the protagonists, especially since they didn't even know each other and led completely different lives.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Rosie lady
Currently Reading: Wedding party
Bookshelf Size: 120

Post by Rosie lady »

When written well, a story with multiple protagonists can be a great read. Suddenly there's more depth, more to capture your attention and pull you in. That said however, I am personally usually drawn more to stories with a single protagonist, where I can really get in their head and feel their story.
I haven't yet read the book in question "my trip to Adele", but am interested to see how the author manages multiple protagonists
Shanaya
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanaya.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shanaya »

Yes, these books are fun, and I get to read different people's perspectives and different stories concerning all the protagonists. However, in general I prefer books with single protagonist as here I feel a connection at a personal level which I do not feel with multiple protagonists.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I like stories with multiple protagonists. It's nice to be able to feel like you're reading more than one novel at a time. If the characters cross path, that's okay. But if they don't, it's okay too. What matters is that the stories are well told.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Its all right for a book to have multiple protagonists as long as they are connected with the story line. I had read this book and I do understand all the role of each protagonist and the story line was also good.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

michelonline29 wrote:Its all right for a book to have multiple protagonists as long as they are connected with the story line. I had read this book and I do understand all the role of each protagonist and the story line was also good.
I agree. Having multiple protagonists in a story gives us many perspectives and different twists.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Family Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 2289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

michelonline29 wrote:Its all right for a book to have multiple protagonists as long as they are connected with the story line. I had read this book and I do understand all the role of each protagonist and the story line was also good.
I agree, but usually, when we have multiple protagonists their story crosses at some point. This wasn't the case here.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I do because it broadens my understanding of the story to see it from different angles and heightens the tension if there are conflicting desires between the characters.
Donnavila Marie01

BookishBookkeeping wrote:I have only read the sample for "My trip to Adele" so I can't comment on it, but I was under the impression that at some point all three would cross each others path. So I'm a bit disappointed about finding that out.

I do like multiple protagonists especially if their paths connect or cross because it gives me a sense of how much our own lives cross and connect with others.
This is what I was waiting for in the story. I thought the three protagonists would cross their ways and find inspiration from each other but it never happened.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
BookishBookkeeping wrote:I have only read the sample for "My trip to Adele" so I can't comment on it, but I was under the impression that at some point all three would cross each others path. So I'm a bit disappointed about finding that out.

I do like multiple protagonists especially if their paths connect or cross because it gives me a sense of how much our own lives cross and connect with others.
This is what I was waiting for in the story. I thought the three protagonists would cross their ways and find inspiration from each other but it never happened.
I waited for it too, and was disappointed it didn't happen.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01

I like the idea of having multiple protagonists in a book but I don't support the practice of making all of the protagonists as narrators. The shift from one narrator to the other is sometimes confusing.
MNCEDISI
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by MNCEDISI »

I have no problem with multiple protagonists, instead I just love the style. In 'My trip to Adelle' there are many protagonists yet all their stories hovers around the same theme subject, that is Love and Relationships. Frankly, multiple protagonists help the author address different issues concerned in the main theme, thus making the book more interesting and detailed at the same time.
Penielmike
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike »

I love books with multiple protagonists. It adds flavour to the book as it brings out different schools of though over a particular matter thereby leaving with the task of judging which opinion is best.
Donnavila Marie01

Penielmike wrote:I love books with multiple protagonists. It adds flavour to the book as it brings out different schools of though over a particular matter thereby leaving with the task of judging which opinion is best.
I like your idea of getting different schools of thoughts. This is true because good readers do not just consider the story if it is entertaining but they also consider if they will learn something or not.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I like the idea of having multiple protagonists in a book but I don't support the practice of making all of the protagonists as narrators. The shift from one narrator to the other is sometimes confusing.
I don't mind at all if all the protagonists are narrators, as long as it is done right. I read several such books and wasn't confused at all.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”